Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 10:12 AM

Clothing sizes!

According to my tape measure, and most size charts, I am a standard size 14, but I can never buy anything without trying it on first.

Recently I saw two nice shirts in an Edinburgh Woolen Mill sale - both size 14 - one fitted and one didn't. Their 'long' length trousers barely reach my ankles.

M & S shirts - size 14 - fit everywhere except the sleeves, they are far too tight and too short. Their 'long' length trousers barely reach my ankles.

BHS shirts - size 12 - fit me perfectly but their 'long' length trousers are too long !

Why cannot clothing manufacturers standardize their sizes?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 10:28 AM

Re: Clothing sizes!

The only clothes I've bought recently are from online 50plus, and they've fitted me perfectly. Sainsbury are good too. Anywhere else. I'd have to try them on. Yes, the sizes definitely do vary.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 10:52 AM

Clothes sizing is a complete nonsense.

I rarely buy clothes these days, but I have many I bought over the years which are still as good as new and they range from a size 10 to a 16 and they all fit
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 11:05 AM

Its al gone up the wall ST - I range from a 10 to 12 and have even had to buy a 14 as the items were so tiny - madness !
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 01:15 PM

I also find clothing sizes vary , gets on my pip.
Bon Marche are quite good though I find, in fact I like their a lot of their stuff.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 02:09 PM

I'm a 10 in some things but a 12 in others so when the sizes vary it's even worse - it can be anything from an 8 to a 14 - ridiculous..
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 02:14 PM

you should be so lucky to be so slim.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
you should be so lucky to be so slim.
Lol.. I do work at it though, APRICOT!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I also find clothing sizes vary , gets on my pip.
Bon Marche are quite good though I find, in fact I like their a lot of their stuff.

I agree with both your comments Apricot, I never find any two shops the same, so nearly always try things on. As you say, Bon Marche is pretty good though.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 10:06 PM

If Bon Marche ever closed down, I'd have nowhere to buy my clothes from! I used to say that about C&A.

I always have to try on clothes: cos I am overweight (alright, my gp would call me obese, but I'm not that bad!!), I prefer to wear trousers with elasticated waists - for comfort, you understand - and usually veer to size 24. The only problem is the legs of the trousers are massive! As in too wide.

Why can't some be a slimmer fit? I do not have thighs like tree trunks, so don't need all that material.

I hate clothes shopping, for the very reason of size variation.

Yesterday I was looking through nightwear in bhs, as I wanted PJ bottoms. All the PJ suits had trousers trailing on the dirty floor and they looked pretty disgusting. Why couldn't they be displayed on much higher rails?

I can't wear a onesie cos of me hot flushes, and wanted something to put on under a nightie. I did find something, (they have a good sale on) but their sizes only go up to 22, so that's what I had to buy. Fine, cost me £14.40.

Got home, put them on, fit rather snugly round the waist, but again the bottoms trail on the floor, as the legs are too long! The edging is lace, so what do I do? Get a needle and thread and turn them up anyway?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top