Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 01:14 AM

Re: Is there intelligent life out there?

Still think it will be one day Bruce. Maybe Richard Branson will reincarnate to see to it.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

11-01-2015, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
They reckon travel to the nearest star in our galaxy would take nearly 100000 years (give or take 10000 years or so) to travel the 4.5 light years to the Alpha Centuri system -our nearest neighbours - using an ion drive. At the moment the chance of life forms coming into contact is pretty remote given the likelihood of other life forms existing in the same galaxy being near to each other.
We are looking at these distances with our old knowledge of physics, there will be better and faster ways. Einstein said that light speed was the fastest that anything could travel but this has already been challenged and there appears to be particles that can travel even faster. We will overcome these speed difficulties and master these enormous problems and it will happen within the next 50 years.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

11-01-2015, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I`m pretty convinced life does exist elsewhere given the number of planets in the Goldilocks zone to their stars. But ever meeting?-no way the distances are far ,far too great.
They are for our present knowledge of science but there are new ideas just around the corner which will change everything.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

11-01-2015, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
It is a bit difficult to imagine we are the "only ones".

If there are, I hope to god there's no terrorism among them. The world is a bad enough place as it is at the moment.

I'd need to see definite evidence.
I look forward to the time when there is real evidence. It will give the whole world a different perspective.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by littlebob ->
We are looking at these distances with our old knowledge of physics, there will be better and faster ways. Einstein said that light speed was the fastest that anything could travel but this has already been challenged and there appears to be particles that can travel even faster. We will overcome these speed difficulties and master these enormous problems and it will happen within the next 50 years.
I think you will find that Einstein said there is not enough energy in the Universe to make anything with mass to travel at the speed of light. ie the energy required would be infinite.

As for predictions of the future the only accurate thing that can be said about them is that they will be wrong.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by littlebob ->
They are for our present knowledge of science but there are new ideas just around the corner which will change everything.
You're right - we are 'limited' by our knowledge so far .....
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

11-01-2015, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think you will find that Einstein said there is not enough energy in the Universe to make anything with mass to travel at the speed of light. ie the energy required would be infinite.

As for predictions of the future the only accurate thing that can be said about them is that they will be wrong.
I think we need to substitute the word " maybe " for the word " will " This gives us a let out when someone proves we are wrong. Albert Einstein's teacher got it wrong when he said " this boy will never amount to much ".Einstein got it wrong when he said " God does not play chance " He could not accept the laws of probability which is now a corner stone of quantum physics. This country got it very wrong when we dismissed the invention of the transistor as having academic interest only. America then went ahead and made a fortune out of our mistake. We have a history in this country of condemning new ideas, the list is endless.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 04:46 PM

I read a copy of a speech the Steven Hawking gave regarding Black Holes and he pointed out the there is a possibility that Black Holes could provide the power required for us to "jump" across the universe to another system millions of light-years away that does indeed have life, but it would be a one-way trip and we could get fried trying.

The only other option is that some time in the past or the future we have / will have mastered time travel.

That links into a very popular theory regarding "visitors" from other worlds - the exploitation of time travel.

It's quite interesting reading some of the "evidence", such as dinosaur remains with what appears to be bullet holes in the skulls; footprints from shoes in million-year-old mud that's now rock, copper "coins" complete with stylized pictures discovered when digging a water well and so on.

Another theory has already been mentioned - we are not actually the first sentient beings, human or otherwise, to create civilizations and the earth is in yet another cycle of evolving then crashing.

That would explain a number of things that do not fit into the normally accepted evolution of this planet.

After all, as someone has already also said, dinosaurs were around for millions of years.

Who REALLY knows what mighty civilizations arose and died that we have no evidence at all of ever existing?

Why did the people that carved the Nazca Lines do that when the only way to really see them was from the air?

Who / what were they expecting to return? stevmk2
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

11-01-2015, 05:20 PM

You raise some interesting points stevmk2, I quite like the time travel idea, it has been explored by many sifi films, for those who scoff at this idea I would like to tell a little story.
My grandfather on my dads side was a bit of a lad for the comics, he had been wacked many times at school for reading under the desk instead of getting on with his work. Nothing really changes, my students would listen to the radio through an ear phone with a wooley hat on.
He use to tell of a cigar shaped thing which travelled under the water with people in it. One day his father caught him, grabbed the comic and said "why are you reading this silly rubbish for, filling your head with a load of nonsense. Get a book from my shelf and do some proper reading." Of course we no today that the cigar shaped thing was the beginings of the submarine. Most of physics starts with someones daft idea. We cannot even imagine what is waiting to be discovered in the future.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 01:08 AM

[QUOTE=littlebob;589560]You raise some interesting points stevmk2, I quite like the time travel idea, it has been explored by many sifi films, for those who scoff at this idea I would like to tell a little story.
My grandfather on my dads side was a bit of a lad for the comics, he had been wacked many times at school for reading under the desk instead of getting on with his work. Nothing really changes, my students would listen to the radio through an ear phone with a wooley hat on.
He use to tell of a cigar shaped thing which travelled under the water with people in it. One day his father caught him, grabbed the comic and said "why are you reading this silly rubbish for, filling your head with a load of nonsense. Get a book from my shelf and do some proper reading." Of course we no today that the cigar shaped thing was the beginings of the submarine. Most of physics starts with someones daft idea. We cannot even imagine what is waiting to be discovered in the future.[/QUOTE]

Probably very true.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top