Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

11-01-2015, 07:41 AM

Living to 100 years old

This year I was taken to hospital, I won't bore you with the details, they just don't matter.
While I was in there the medical team brought in an old guy who seemed to be in his own little world. I found him very funny, he gave the nurses lots of cheek and insisted on singing outrages songs all the time.
It turned out that his only real problem was that he was deaf.
When I discovered this I went over to him with a large sheet of paper and introduced myself by writing down what I wanted to say on the paper. Each time he read my message and replied in words.
I was stunned by his replies. He told me that he was born just after the war. This was fine until I discovered that he was refering to the first world war. He was 94 years old. I could not believe that a 94 year old man could be in such good shape. I politely asked him about his life style and what he eate. He told me that he lived on his own on a small cottage in a wild part of north wales with his dog. I could not believe it when he said he had egg and bacon for breakfast every other day and porridge on the days in between. He seemed to like most things but did not like smoking or drinking alcohol. He really was a funny guy, always laughing and telling stories about what he did in the war. Even the sickest patients on the ward seemed to appreciate his light harded approach to life.
Do you thing how long we live is to do with life style, over genes or our attitude to life generally. The whole subject really puzzles me.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 07:47 AM

Re: Living to 100 years old

I'm convinced that ones attitude to life plays a part in determining our health and longevity.........and other variables too of course.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 09:22 AM

He sounds a lovely man! Glad he made your stay in hospital at least enjoyable/bearable.

What a gem.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
He sounds a lovely man! Glad he made your stay in hospital at least enjoyable/bearable.

What a gem.
Agree Jazzi - my kinda guy, I'm sure he's attitude to life helped with his longevity
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 10:57 AM

I agree - they do say that you never get more out of life than you are prepared to put in ! He sounds a delightful person and, I would imagine, a very interesting one as well.
ShirleyMarie
Michigan, USA
ShirleyMarie is female  ShirleyMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 11:35 AM

My Mom at her last birthday...born May 10, 1915...
Now lives with my sister in Florida but did live alone until 2 years ago. Plays solitair on her computer. Her eyes are not good but otherwise she is doing well.

She had 2 Aunts and a cousin that lived to over 100.
Mom never smoked or drank any alcoholic thing. She needs no prescriptions at all, except for eye drops. Not true for me though...well, the smoking and drinking are, but I need 14 prescribed drugs these days. I am recovering from a big heart attack and have diabetes, gout, arthritis and high blood pressure...Dad had those too.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 11:47 AM

I've spoken to a few people in their late 90's. Yes, they are fascinating. I do think not smoking and drinking does help, sometimes, as they are toxins. Not all the time. Genes help.

I remember one lady, after asking her what her secret was, saying "I'm easy pleased"!

Luck also comes into it.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ShirleyMarie ->

My Mom at her last birthday...born May 10, 1915...
Now lives with my sister in Florida but did live alone until 2 years ago. Plays solitair on her computer. Her eyes are not good but otherwise she is doing well.

She had 2 Aunts and a cousin that lived to over 100.
Mom never smoked or drank any alcoholic thing. She needs no prescriptions at all, except for eye drops. Not true for me though...well, the smoking and drinking are, but I need 14 prescribed drugs these days. I am recovering from a big heart attack and have diabetes, gout, arthritis and high blood pressure...Dad had those too.
Shirley your wee mum looks great and looks a lovely woman
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 01:12 PM

What a fabulous photograph !
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

11-01-2015, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I'm convinced that ones attitude to life plays a part in determining our health and longevity.........and other variables too of course.
I think you are correct sir.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top