Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

11-01-2015, 02:31 PM

Re: Living to 100 years old

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I've spoken to a few people in their late 90's. Yes, they are fascinating. I do think not smoking and drinking does help, sometimes, as they are toxins. Not all the time. Genes help.

I remember one lady, after asking her what her secret was, saying "I'm easy pleased"!

Luck also comes into it.
I think there are things to be learnt from both of the above answers.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 02:33 PM

Love the photo of your Mum at 99. Bless
Genes help a lot and barring disease, accidents and the smoking
and drinking most people can live to an old age nowadays. Plus
food of course.
It also helps to have a sense of humour and interests that keep
your mind alive. Plus if you live dangerously your chances of
getting to a hundred or even old decrease.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 12:56 AM

Probably a mixture of genetics, attitude and - luck! I say this last one because even the most placid, fun loving, and genetically healthy of those among us can still get run over by a bus!!
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

12-01-2015, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Probably a mixture of genetics, attitude and - luck! I say this last one because even the most placid, fun loving, and genetically healthy of those among us can still get run over by a bus!!
Even if you take out the possibility of being run over by a bus, I would still accept your answer. Luck does have a part to play in all this.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 09:24 PM

I think if you have the right attitude to life and take the things that come at you as best you can it certainly helps to ward off the stress, and that has to be a good thing for your health, my dear old dad was 94 when he died, a very jolly man all his life.
I hate to see so many young people fretting about their jobs being safe and the roof above their head staying there, it's so sad and won't help them later on, this shouldn't happen in a civilised society.
And if you aint got a sense of humour you may as well pack the whole thing in now.

Your Mam looks great Shirley, God bless her.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 10:51 PM

As other people have said a combination of genes and good luck are important, but also being laid back is very important as it's becoming increasingly clear that if you worry and fret and are prone to stress you will wear out a lot sooner.
Those who live one day at a time and don't look too much to the future seem to reap the rewards in years on the planet.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

13-01-2015, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
As other people have said a combination of genes and good luck are important, but also being laid back is very important as it's becoming increasingly clear that if you worry and fret and are prone to stress you will wear out a lot sooner.
Those who live one day at a time and don't look too much to the future seem to reap the rewards in years on the planet.
I am fairly sure you are right Anita, I like your answer !
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I'm convinced that ones attitude to life plays a part in determining our health and longevity.........and other variables too of course.
Me Too.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ShirleyMarie ->

My Mom at her last birthday...born May 10, 1915...
Now lives with my sister in Florida but did live alone until 2 years ago. Plays solitair on her computer. Her eyes are not good but otherwise she is doing well.

She had 2 Aunts and a cousin that lived to over 100.
Mom never smoked or drank any alcoholic thing. She needs no prescriptions at all, except for eye drops. Not true for me though...well, the smoking and drinking are, but I need 14 prescribed drugs these days. I am recovering from a big heart attack and have diabetes, gout, arthritis and high blood pressure...Dad had those too.
Lovely photo of your Mom x
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

13-01-2015, 12:02 PM

I totally agree.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top