Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 08:35 PM

grandparents

Do you have fond memories of your grandparents?

I only knew one grandfather. Lovely man, who made great chips. Died when I was 11.

Loved my two grans to bits. One more stern than the other, but loved them both in their own way.

I still think about them often.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 08:56 PM

Re: grandparents

Paternal grand parents I only knew my grandmother and she was a miserable women, never smiled I think it might have cracked her face to do so. We were not close only met once or twice a year when we were expected to be seen and not heard and she would explain at great lengths all our failings.

Maternal grand parents - well if we hadn't had them we would have been in care, wonderful people who took us in without a thought to how it would make their lives harder. Gave up so much for us and were rocks all though my childhood and early adult hood who would be there for me no matter what.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 09:30 PM

I was lucky enough to know both sets of grandparents.

Maternal grandparents were very grand, rather strict but fair. Granddad was retired by the time I arrived on the scene. Lived in Dublin then and later moved to Dundalk. Holidays with them were very formal but lovely.

Paternal grandparents were good, honest, working class folk. Lived in Skegness. Holidays with them were much less formal and rather exciting as granddad believed that children should be allowed a lot more freedom than we were used to at home.

The school summer holidays alternated between them - when I was sent to Ireland my brother was sent to Skegness - and vice versa. My parents never joined us.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 09:54 PM

Never knew my paternal or maternal grandfathers. My paternal grandmother was lovely but she died when I was seven years old. My maternal grandmother was stern and standoffish and rarely spoke to us kids and I hated my step grandfather, he was a right slime ball.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 10:32 PM

Unfortunately I didn't know any of my grandparents, they had died before I was born.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 10:49 PM

That is sad, Mags, Grandparents are treasures !
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 10:55 PM

Only knew my grandmother on my mothers side and she made fantastic proper Cornish Pasties in a solid fuel Arga stove, the only way to do it properly to retain the moisture inside the pastie.
I just had bought my brownie 127 camera and took a picture of her which I now cherish.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Unfortunately I didn't know any of my grandparents, they had died before I was born.
Same here, except Fathers mother, who went when I was about six, she was very observational and probably correct, but unfortunately "part of the problem".
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 11:25 PM

Never knew my maternal Grandfather, he died before I was born, but Nana came to live with us when she was bombed out of her home in Liverpool. She arrived with one suitcase and her canary in his cage. My paternal Grandparents were relatively well off. I only regret that I cannot remember a single conversation with Nana and she must have been quite a character. She played bridge for Wales and was a wonderful embroideress. I still have some items she made. Grandpa was a dear, but a dreadful driver. If any of the family saw him coming in his little car they would hide in a shop so that they didn't have to accept a lift home!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 12:03 AM

I only knew Mum's parents. Nan had some strange ways sometimes, but my Grandad was a sweetheart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top