Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 01:16 AM

Re: grandparents

Grandparents can really help shape our lives.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 02:33 PM

I knew three of my Grandparents. My Dads never contributed much to our upbringing as my Mum would not have allowed that. My Granddad died when I was 11 and Granma I was 13. She used to take us to the cemetery
when we visited on a Sunday morning. Her daughter died of typhoid when she was 9yrs old . I believed in ghosts so it used to frighten me going there. My Mums Mum died when she was 9years old so she didn't really know much about her Mother. My Granddad I knew until I was 6. So Grandparents didn't really contribute to me. I have since found out doing my ancestry that my maternal Granddad was a war hero in the first WW.
He was in the Irish Guards. My paternal Granddad was one of 13 children.
So knew more about them after they had passed than when I was younger. Like others children were seen and not heard in my childhood. I would say that I have personally made up for it ever since
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 02:47 PM

Interesting. I never met my paternal Grandfather-I suspect he was a bully and a coward-this could be where my father modeled himself. Paternal Grandmother was nice as I remember(she died when I was 6)-seemed she had brains so that is where they come from??

On my mum`s side Grandma was around but had had a stroke so didn`t feature that much. Grandad taught me how to play cribbage and sometimes confided tales about WW1-there was mutual loathing between him and my dad.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 06:23 PM

I only discovered my mum's father a few years ago, and he was dead by then. What a shock his son got, as he didn't know anything about my mum.

My paternal grandfather died when I was young, but I remember him well.

My two grans were a bit like chalk and cheese. One didn't suffer fools gladly and the other was as soft as putty, but I loved them both. I still dream about them now and then, especially if I have worries on my mind.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top