Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 09:56 PM

Re: The occult

Originally Posted by littlebob ->
Religion is a strange one, do you know every culture that has ever surfaced in humanity has had some form of belief system. Scientists say there is a part of our brain which desperately wants to believe in some sort of deity, god, super being over us that watches over our well being, without it we can become mentally ill. We cannot escape it, we all believe in something that means that we may be agnostics but there are very few true athests among us. Think very carefully before you say you believe in nothing.
Think you will find there are quite a few atheists on this forum.

I struggle with me brain box enough as it is without taking on board some superior being watching over me. Creepy that is .
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

13-01-2015, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->

I struggle with me brain box enough as it is without taking on board some superior being watching over me. Creepy that is .
So you are telling us that you believe in nothing, fascinating, the brain scientists must be wrong.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 10:05 PM

So you are telling us that you believe in nothing, fascinating, the brain scientists must be wrong.
I'm a one off. Scientists - piff.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->

Grammar ?

Writing a novel without proper grammar will annoy an awful lot of people ... see thread re 50 shades of indeterminable colour
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2015, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Bob, you have to go on personal experience and if you've had experience of such a thing, then you are a believer.

I am also a believer. Not because of something I imagined. Something that was witnessed by myself and my husband at the same time.

Like everything else in life, it's a purely personal thing, and if you haven't experienced it, then you can understand why people don't believe. I'm sure I'd be the same.

I agree with all you've said Alice. Unfortunately, those that have never experienced anything themselves can get very adamant these things cannot possibly be true, and that we are either losing our marbles or making it up. They should try to keep an open mind instead, because I believe things are 'shown' to us when the time is right, and not before.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

14-01-2015, 03:33 AM

Alice, I must tell you something else, we had a women stay with us for a few months because she had lost the home that she rented. She was a neighbour near our little cottage. We quickly discovered that she was heavily into ghosts and spirits and the like. I was very interested in some of her stories. However, one evening she called barb and I up to her room and said " look at the orbs you have hanging from the bedroom ceiling " well I could not see anything, to be honest I didn't even know what an orbe was. Well barb and I just looked at each other and barb said " O yes " well I new that barb could not see a dam thing. A few days later the women started complaining about an old lady who would come in to her room and wake her up at night. Obviously I was very sceptical of all this but barb said you should not judge her, she might be seeing something that we can't. Well you have to be reasonable, perhaps barb was right, the truth is I still feel strange about the whole thing.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2015, 11:52 AM

we all believe in something that means that we may be agnostics but there are very few true athests among us. Think very carefully before you say you believe in nothing.
I believe in lots of things, but none of them are supernatural or religious. I think there are a great many more atheists around than we think. Some people just think they should profess a belief for image purposes - most politicians for example.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2015, 02:01 PM

Religion is a strange one, do you know every culture that has ever surfaced in humanity has had some form of belief system. Scientists say there is a part of our brain which desperately wants to believe in some sort of deity, god, super being which watches over us and cares for our well being, without it we can become mentally ill. We cannot escape it, we all believe in something that means that we may be agnostics but there are very few true athests among us. Think very carefully before you say you believe in nothing.
Do we Bob ?
I don't believe in anything at all to do with religious or superstitious beliefs .

I suppose you can say that I do believe in something and that is 'shared human values, having respect for others and that people should work together to improve the quality of life for all ' that is the Humanist philosophy .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I believe in lots of things, but none of them are supernatural or religious. I think there are a great many more atheists around than we think. Some people just think they should profess a belief for image purposes - most politicians for example.
Atheism is another belief, I think agnosticism is a true non believing stance as they accept they don't have the answer so no Faith at all.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2015, 02:32 PM

I too have had a couple of very "weird" experiences but I do not believe in any deity, for one thing I simply could never believe that any "loving God" could let such wicked things happen to innocent people and children if he was such an all powerful deity. I think my experiences could also be explained by scientific logic or facts, if I was a scientist that is. I can even believe in Jesus, but not as he is portrayed in the bible, I see him more as a latter day Che Guevara, miracles as latter day magicians who could so easily fool innocent, uneducated people, one magic trick and a lot of Chinese whispers, possibly even vision giving drugs leading to some people believing they have had a message from above and you have a miracle. Since, to my knowledge, nobody has ever returned from "the other side" to tell us anything and since I was asked to leave Sunday school because I asked too many questions and couldnīt accept their answers, Iīm in no doubt that I will remain my very sceptical self.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top