Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2015, 02:41 PM

Re: The occult

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Unfortunately, those that have never experienced anything themselves can get very adamant these things cannot possibly be true, and that we are either losing our marbles or making it up. They should try to keep an open mind instead, because I believe things are 'shown' to us when the time is right, and not before.
I actually HAVE had a few unusual experiences, but I'm not credulous enough to automatically chalk them up to things that go bump in the night. Just because I don't understand the cause of something or can't come up with an explanation for it doesn't mean it's the supernatural at work.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2015, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I've had the odd experience I can't explain, no doubt like many other people, but that doesn't mean a rational explanation doesn't exist. Just because someone can't explain something doesn't mean it has a supernatural cause behind it. Religion, the occult, the supernatural, it's all hogwash and should have been set aside generations ago for the primitive superstitions they are.
I knew someone would put a post like this!!

May I respectfully point out Tachyon that only incontrovertible evidence could actually determine whether or not its all "hogwash" as you put it.

The definition of supernatural is: - "a manifestation or event attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature".

We can do things now that people only 100 years ago would have thought was magic but we'd never have got this far with the kind of Luddite thinking you seem to believe is absolutely beyond question.

It's your opinion and, of course, you are entitled to it but others will have different views and may find your final sentence rather rude and over-bearing.

I do not because I actually know better. stevmk2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2015, 07:26 PM

I like to call it the "supernatural". Working in a hospital, when I hear the word "occult", I think of black blood
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2015, 08:13 PM

I do not think we should consider it as the occult. We should consider it as the Super Natural. I have defined that as two words because that is what it is. It is Natural but beyond our confirmed knowledge. I have had so many experiences but then I am so open minded it has given me more problems in this life, trusting, beyond what I should but I am there ready to keep my mind open to all.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2015, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
May I respectfully point out Tachyon that only incontrovertible evidence could actually determine whether or not its all "hogwash" as you put it.
No, I think you'll find I can make my own decisions and label something hogwash if I so choose, your opinion notwithstanding. If others find my opinions rude or overbearing that's their tough luck. I might well find their opinions infantile and an insult to rational thought, so it can cut both ways.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 12:54 AM

[QUOTE=clumsy;591714]I too have had a couple of very "weird" experiences but I do not believe in any deity, for one thing I simply could never believe that any "loving God" could let such wicked things happen to innocent people and children if he was such an all powerful deity. QUOTE]

Trouble is Clumsy, some people blame God for wicked things happening, when 'he' hasn't done anything? Most atrocities are man made.
I firmly believe we are meant to learn from our mistakes.
If we are made to witness first hand, the results of wrong thoughts and deeds, we should learn from it. If bad things were prevented from happening, and "God" stepped in and never let us see the end product of our destructive ways, we would have nothing to compare good from evil.
It's a bit like you need to experience sadness to know how good it is to feel happy again, or ill health to know what good health feel like. So to my logic, we need to witness awful things, and see the repercussions, to understand how wrong it is. If this was never allowed, we wouldn't learn.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 01:30 AM

[QUOTE=Mups;592093][QUOTE=clumsy;591714]I too have had a couple of very "weird" experiences but I do not believe in any deity, for one thing I simply could never believe that any "loving God" could let such wicked things happen to innocent people and children if he was such an all powerful deity. QUOTE]

Trouble is Clumsy, some people blame God for wicked things happening, when 'he' hasn't done anything? Most atrocities are man made.
I firmly believe we are meant to learn from our mistakes.
If we are made to witness first hand, the results of wrong thoughts and deeds, we should learn from it. If bad things were prevented from happening, and "God" stepped in and never let us see the end product of our destructive ways, we would have nothing to compare good from evil.
It's a bit like you need to experience sadness to know how good it is to feel happy again, or ill health to know what good health feel like. So to my logic, we need to witness awful things, and see the repercussions, to understand how wrong it is. If this was never allowed, we wouldn't learn.[/QUOTE

I understand where you are coming from Mups and I certainly donīt expect everyone to have my views, but as for learning from our mistakes, the innocent babies, children and families in Darfour, for example, babies cut from their motherīs wombs, babies hurled against walls, babies and children hacked to pieces, too tiny and innocent to ever have made a mistake so how can they learn from them? Cruelty and abuse have been going on since the first people walked upright, it has never stopped. The dreadful abuse of animals and of tiny children, animals cannot make mistakes neither can tiny children so why do they have to suffer horrendous pain and death? I cannot ever see a time coming when I will change my views on this subject. I do however respect the right of everyone to believe what they want and to worship whichever God they choose, but it certainly isnīt for me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 01:38 AM

Maybe these things have to hit us where it hurts most i.e. harming the innocents, to drive it home to some people.
I like your honestly though Clumsy.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top