Join for free
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 09:03 PM

Slum Britain 50 years on

Did anybody see this? It featured families living in slum conditions all around the UK in the 60s. They had managed to trace some of the children who were photographed and it was good to hear how they had grown up.

I was born in 1953 and my first home was a tiny rented cottage with no garden and no bathroom. THere was an outside toilet round the corner which was a double wooden seated affair. This was emptied once a week by the night cart. I don't think we had electricity there, we used paraffin lamps.

When I was about 5 we moved to a council house which seemed huge and had a massive garden as well as a bath upstairs but a downstairs flushing toilet in what we called the washhouse.

There was no spare money whatsoever up our road but they weren't slums. The houses were in good repair but there were some huge families of 10 and 12 kids and they really were very poor indeed. I remember being at neighbours homes and they didn't have bed clothes, just all coats thrown over them and no coal to light fires so the houses were freezing. Amazingly, all the dads were in work but very low paid, unskilled work and there were no top ups to make it a living wage.

There were only 3 kids in our household so I guess in comparison we were not badly off but I can still see my Mum sitting with her little housekeeping book trying to work out how she could save a few pennies. All our clothes came from jumble sales except for what Mum knitted and we had some cousins who passed stuff on to us.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 09:18 PM

Re: Slum Britain 50 years on

The night cart?
Double seared toilets ?
In 1953?
Where were you living ?
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The night cart?
Double seared toilets ?
In 1953?
Where were you living ?
My dates are spot on. Why are you doubting me?

We left that house approx 1958 and it was still the same. In the mid sixties a friend of mine still lived in a house with no electricity and did her homework by paraffin lamp.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The night cart?
Double seared toilets ?
In 1953?
Where were you living ?
I was at Grammar school in the late 50s and early 60s with kids who did not have a bathroom or inside toilet but who lived near the centre of Dover and Folkestone in terrace houses. Their bathing was either a trip to the local Slipper Baths or a tin tub in the kitchen.

In the early 60s the local councils had grants to enable these people to construct a bathroom inside the house. In particular I remember one which was constructed in an unused section of corridor.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
There was no spare money whatsoever up our road but they weren't slums. The houses were in good repair but there were some huge families of 10 and 12 kids and they really were very poor indeed. I remember being at neighbours homes and they didn't have bed clothes, just all coats thrown over them and no coal to light fires so the houses were freezing. Amazingly, all the dads were in work but very low paid, unskilled work and there were no top ups to make it a living wage.
Exactly the same. We lived in a poor area - back to back houses, outside toilet, a single coal fire - yet I wouldn't describe it as a slum.

In my book, slums were created by the people who lived in them. Although it is said that all 'slums' have been removed now, you can still see them in just about every large city. You can change buildings, but you can't change some people!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2016, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Exactly the same. We lived in a poor area - back to back houses, outside toilet, a single coal fire - yet I wouldn't describe it as a slum.

In my book, slums were created by the people who lived in them. Although it is said that all 'slums' have been removed now, you can still see them in just about every large city. You can change buildings, but you can't change some people!

A case in point, around twenty years or so ago a `rough` council estate was totally refurbished at the cost of millions of pounds, the refurbishments included central heating, rewiring, a new bathroom suite, new windows and doors and the outside walls all pebble-dashed. The tenants were re-located to other estates while the work was carried out and then put back into their same houses when the work was completed. Within six months, the estate was as bad as ever - unkempt gardens, stuff thrown onto lawns, fences damaged and litter strewn everywhere. I remember so politician or other (can't remember the name) who claimed that "If you put people in pig-styes they'll behave like pigs". On the contrary, if you put pigs in decent houses, those houses will becom pig-styes.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2016, 02:55 PM

Im so glad I grew up with heat, hot water, inside loo and bath and an colour tv.
The 60s were obviously a turning point.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2016, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

A case in point, around twenty years or so ago a `rough` council estate was totally refurbished at the cost of millions of pounds, the refurbishments included central heating, rewiring, a new bathroom suite, new windows and doors and the outside walls all pebble-dashed. The tenants were re-located to other estates while the work was carried out and then put back into their same houses when the work was completed. Within six months, the estate was as bad as ever - unkempt gardens, stuff thrown onto lawns, fences damaged and litter strewn everywhere. I remember so politician or other (can't remember the name) who claimed that "If you put people in pig-styes they'll behave like pigs". On the contrary, if you put pigs in decent houses, those houses will becom pig-styes.
I agree with you Judd. at 9 months old my parents took me from my grandmothers house, to our new council house which had just been built. We were there for 10 years , but even as a child I can remember that some people had lovely clean houses, but some were dirty and untidy. That was when my dad decided to buy his own property and live where people valued what they had spent money on. The change of residential area certainly made a big impact on my life and values!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2016, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

In my book, slums were created by the people who lived in them.
Although it is said that all 'slums' have been removed now, you can still see them in just about every large city. You can change buildings, but you can't change some people!
Same here we also had gas lights (no electricity the radio was battery powered) and the luxury of a bathroom. The house was no slum everything was scrubbed to within an inch of its life including the back yard front path and steps .

When I was sent to live with my aunt in her farm labourer's cottage that had an 'earth closet' 100 yards up the garden and it didn't have a bathroom jut a tin bath and a huge sink . It too was kept immaculatly and everything was scrubbed regularly including the children

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top