Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 08:09 AM

Re: May versus Corbyn

Was JC asked about his terrorist associates ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 08:27 AM

May stood up to paxman better I agree but corbyn IMO was far better with questions from the audience. That's why those of us like corbyn like him he speaks to us as an equal, as a man, as a person with ideas and principles. May is great I'm sure but she speaks to a room, not to each individual person she also sounds too much like she's telling us what to do not listening Jeremy listens.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 09:04 AM

I watched it too and I think they both presented themselves fairly well. It was an opportunity wasted for me though by paxman, he is well past his sell by date. He was more interested in tripping them up than truly getting to know what their policies are. He was out of his depth in my opinion.

Overall I think they both came off well, I don't think people will have changed their minds on either based on that programme.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 09:15 AM

I noticed Seumas Milne has got to grips with JC's putting him in a suit and tidying up both his appearance and manner
( Seamus Milne, JC's advisor who attended 'Winchester College', that well known comprehensive school Balliol College, and Birkbeck College.SM is the son of Alasdair Milne who was the Director General of the BBC and sacked by Thatcher, draw your own conclusions about him .
Gone is JC's surley attitude to the the press along with his workers shirt and donkey jacket none have been much in evidence of late.

I was not a great fan of JC's politics but I considered him to a man of strong belief with a degree of integrity. Now he reminds me of one of those little girls painted and dressed to attend a childrens pagent , not a hair or mannerism out of place. It doesn't do it for me, LC has sold out to try to gain power . I would have respected him more if he had remained himself.

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Was JC asked about his terrorist associates ?
Yes and the point was rather laboured when it was clear no definitive reply would be given so taking up a lot of time which could have been used to concentrated more on what JC would do if in office.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 09:25 AM

Julie, I agree Paxman is past his sell by date. He ruined it for me he was more interested in tripping them up than actually getting to grips with their policies and how they would tackle being in office. He wasn't up to the job in my opinion, his approach is outdated.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 09:27 AM

I was not impressed with Paxman's interviewing , I think he laboured points which had already been covered in the audience Q&A session instead of moving on and that wasted valuable time.

JC is not defending a position so came across as more relaxed than TM who had more to lose by making a mistake in the things she said.

Neither politician gave a 'winning performance' for me. TM has lost some of the self assurance she had when first elected not surprising after the rushed and poorly executed manifesto.
I hope she gets it back before the EU departure negotiations begin.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

30-05-2017, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Julie, I agree Paxman is past his sell by date. He ruined it for me he was more interested in tripping them up than actually getting to grips with their policies and how they would tackle being in office. He wasn't up to the job in my opinion, his approach is outdated.
I agree too, Paxman is not the interviewer he once was on Newsnight . I get the impression he thinks he is being clever and tough but his style now comes across to me as bullying and it just makes the interviewee defensive and doesn't get the best out of them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I watched it too and I think they both presented themselves fairly well. It was an opportunity wasted for me though by paxman, he is well past his sell by date. He was more interested in tripping them up than truly getting to know what their policies are. He was out of his depth in my opinion.

Overall I think they both came off well, I don't think people will have changed their minds on either based on that programme.
I completely agree about paxman he seems to be playing a part these days instead of waiting for answers.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 08:51 PM

Oh I wish I had been a member of that audience with Jeremy. I would have loved to ask him the following without interruption…

Okay Jeremy, your pie in the sky manifesto promises all sound so good to the gullible, but where exactly is all the money needed for your utopian dream for those on the buttom rung of the ladder going to come from? Let’s see….

A huge rise in corporation tax, taking it from the present 19% to 26%. Raising revenue by your calculation - by 19.4bn per year.

6.5bn a year from a crackdown on tax avoidance

5.6bn a year from a new tax - financial transactions - known as a Robin Hood Tax.

6.4bn a year from taxing high earners more.
Those earning £80,000 would be taxed at 45%
Those earning £123,000 would be taxed at 50%.
This would apply to 4% of the workforce. That is about 1.2 million people!

Question Jeremy? What happens if the wealth creators in this bracket decide there is no bloody way they are going to be paying tax at 50%? Surely the scenario would be more likely for them to transfer their salaries into private pensions, work less or even worse - leave the country????
Don’t expect Scotland to participate in your perfect tax plan either, they set their own tax rules and thresholds. So your 6.4bn is a pie in the sky figure which simply will not happen and well you know it.

According to you Jeremy, the tax revenue will be 48.6bn out, 48.6bn in, but you admit these figures do not count towards your grandoise plans for large investment spending and the renationalising of the Railways, Royal Mail and so on.

You have admitted that you will have to borrow £250bn for future investments (here we go loopy loo!) but have the gall to say in the same breath that you guarantee the national debt will be lower by the end of the next Parliament than it is today.

Aahh! I see, you are so confident of that guarantee because of the “Garden Tax” that you intend to place on every single property in the UK. You’ve kept that one under your belt haven’t you Jeremy. Do all those who are intending to vote for you, know that with this planned tax, you intend to treble council tax for most people??
Your Land Value Tax, which you are planning to replace Council Tax with, will effect every single person who has a garden. Your manifesto doesn’t say how this tax will be applied but it will put council taxes up from £1,185 to £3,837 - a rise of £2,651 or 224% a year!

Nice one Jeremy, not only will house prices plummet, put homeowners at risk of negative equity but it will also force households to sell off their gardens to developers to lessen this impending horrendous tax burden. We know it is your intention to bring it in.
So look out anyone who has a view, a deck or a pretty garden, you are in S..t Street if you vote Labour in.

Sigh, instead all I could do was sit on my sofa instead and put two fingers up at the television screen!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 09:18 PM

How terribly lady like.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top