Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 07:52 PM

Re: Care Homes

I spoke to my Mother-in-Law this afternoon on the phone in the Care Home and they had a Man in the Lounge singing all the old songs, they were all having a Sing Song, and you know what my MIL was only on the phone to me for 5 mins. she wanted to get back to singing with the others.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 08:03 PM

See if you can talk to some of the patients visitors, get their opinion. My friend and I used to visit a friend in a care home,,he seemed happy there, visitors could visit unannounced any time except meal times, we were always greeted warmly by staff , given tea & biscuits in a secluded spot with our friend. Other visitors spoke highly of the home, 2/3 times a week volunteers came to arrange some gentle exercise / play bingo. Of course there were a few miserable ones who caused upset ,and most of the patients dozed in the comfortable chairs when not having visitors or playing games, but that was just elderly people dozing off as happens where ever they are.best of luck in your search.Remember there will be no place like home where ever your Mum is
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 08:16 PM

THIS IS MY MUM IN THE CARE HOME.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK

14-09-2017, 08:30 PM

You must remember a lot of the Patients/Residents have Dementia and they can be a real handful like my Mum.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 06:59 PM

My Mum isn't a handful despite having Alzheimer's. Everybody from the GP receptionists to the ladies who ran her day care centre, to her neighbours and local shopkeepers always loved her and still ask after her.

She is just a bit forgetful and can't remember dates, other than that she's fine. She is not rude or aggressive or a wanderer.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
My Mum isn't a handful despite having Alzheimer's. Everybody from the GP receptionists to the ladies who ran her day care centre, to her neighbours and local shopkeepers always loved her and still ask after her.

She is just a bit forgetful and can't remember dates, other than that she's fine. She is not rude or aggressive or a wanderer.

Forgive me for perhaps talking out of turn, but if mum isn't so bad, can your family not care for her at home with a care package?

We cared for step dad ( and he was a belligerent old git) till he died and am now caring for mum. Like your mum, she's 'OK' but forgetful, can no longer cook for herself or manage the housework but otherwise is self caring
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Forgive me for perhaps talking out of turn, but if mum isn't so bad, can your family not care for her at home with a care package?

We cared for step dad ( and he was a belligerent old git) till he died and am now caring for mum. Like your mum, she's 'OK' but forgetful, can no longer cook for herself or manage the housework but otherwise is self caring
Mum lived alone until last winter when she started having several falls. I had her staying at mine every weekend for the last 10 years but last winter she couldn't manage our stairs and we don't have a downstairs room she could sleep in or a shower she could access. She had falls at our house too. Her mobility is very poor now.

she had carers going in every morning to help her get dressed but she wasn't very keen on that. She was living on snack foods (except when she was at mine at weekends) as she forgot how to use the microwave. She was also scared of being alone incase she fell.

She sleeps a lot but she is 93.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK

25-09-2017, 03:42 PM

My Mother-in-Law.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top