Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 12:13 PM

Re: Life in the Fifties as it really was

If i could swap the fifties for now i would be straight in there. Yes most were poor but weren't people so much nicer then chatting over the garden fence with a cuppa. Nowadays your lucky if you even see your neighbours. Another thing at least there were plenty of Bobbies on the beat and we had street lights. I could go on but i am sure you get the message.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
If i could swap the fifties for now i would be straight in there. Yes most were poor but weren't people so much nicer then chatting over the garden fence with a cuppa. Nowadays your lucky if you even see your neighbours. Another thing at least there were plenty of Bobbies on the beat and we had street lights. I could go on but i am sure you get the message.

Remember these???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG4LSWMsP5g
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
We see the neighbours, most are friendly and we do each other favours.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Remember these???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG4LSWMsP5g
No UJ, I was only a nipper then.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
No UJ, I was only a nipper then.

Their Brother was Jack Warner - of 'Dixon of Dock Green' fame.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 12:23 PM

I remember watching Dixon on a Saturday Night. Evening All.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

30-03-2018, 12:27 PM

Then there was the George Mitchell glee club in the 'god' slot on Sunday evenings.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 01:25 PM

We used to watch it too. I got the CDs a while back, but was disappointed as it wasn't as good as I remembered it.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 01:52 PM

I was second eldest of seven children. I was born in a two up two down terrace that had only cold running water, a gas mantel for lighting and an outdoor toilet,

I don't remember it at all as we moved to a brand new council house when I was 3 years old.
We had all the mod cons of that era, radiators, heated from the open coal fire that had a back boiler, so we had hot running water too. We had an indoor and an outdoor loo.
My dad was a miner so we got a concessionary fuel allowance so the house was always warm. We were however poor. We lived on basic food but it filled our stomachs.

Treats were few and far between but we did get a weekly trip to the cinema, provided by our grandparents.
Life was not luxurious but we got by alright.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

30-03-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Then there was the George Mitchell glee club in the 'god' slot on Sunday evenings.
Also had to watch the Billy Cotton Band Show, mum would never miss it, or Dixon. Then later the Black & White Minstrel Show, that was Saturday evenings taken care of.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top