Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 06:26 PM

Re: Starting to think seriously about my Will etc.

Originally Posted by opheila ->
We have friends with pups of their own.
Most of our friends had babies.
Mustang Sam
Canada
Mustang Sam is female 

08-10-2015, 01:50 AM

Quite honestly the real issue for us is trying to convince the dear Folks to get their affairs in order.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 12:59 PM

I often wonder why some people leave making a will until late in life, sometimes too late? A good friend of ours, who is 70 next year like my husband, hasn't made his will yet, although I keep nagging him to do so. He has no family and much of it will go to the state in the country where he lives, which seems a bit crazy as he is well off.

My husband and I made our wills when we married in 1969,and they have been updated over the years as circumstances changed. Last time we did our wills it was agree my husband would leave everything to me, but I would leave everything to our birth children, with the proviso that my husband has life enjoyment of our assets. This was necessary due to his brain damage.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 08:53 PM

My wife died without making a will so everything went to me I did all the probate very very easy.

I have one daughter so when I die everything will go to her.

Standard so no need to make a will

She made a will(43) leaving some of her money to me if I outlived her.

I then made a will that all my assets will go to her if she outlived me but If she did not all my assets will go to the NSPCC.

By law if you don't make a will all assets are split equally between you children when you die
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Marj ->
We made ours years ago, what they called a mirror image will (Both the same)

It was easy for us, we have only one daughter and everything goes to her.
If she was not around its divided between her hubby and the 2 grandchildren.

We are making a will soon and i would like the mirror image where if i die my hubby gets the lot, if he dies i get the lot and when were both gone my son gets everything...
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 10:15 PM

Making a will does not mean one is going to drop off the perch tomorrow-just review it now and again
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 09:09 AM

You can make a generalised will then add a codicil if you want to make small changes e.g. legacies to specific people.

In theory you cannot exclude one of your children as they can challenge the will in the courts using the Families Act 2004. It's probably best to leave them a far smaller amount and add some notes justifying your decision. That could be used to support your wishes should they try to seek a larger share of the estate.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 09:34 AM

We are not leaving any money to our adopted sons. As they are mentally disabled they cannot cope with money and the social services would only take it off them anyway.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
We are making a will soon and i would like the mirror image where if i die my hubby gets the lot, if he dies i get the lot and when were both gone my son gets everything...
That sounds simple enough why don't you do it today ?
If you and your husband died together it will make life so much easier for your son to deal with probate.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
You want to consider making your will so that when you peg it, your share of the estate will go to your son. Conversely, your hubby needs to do the same so if he goes first, his half of your estate goes to your son. You will then need to set up a `Tenants in Common` or better still, a Joint Tenants with Survivorship type of arrangement so that you and your son have an equal interest in any property but put safeguards in place so that any property can't be sold without both persons agreeing with it.

http://estate.findlaw.com/planning-a...ship-and-.html

This is what I did. When my wife died, my share of the house came to me courtesy of a mirror will but I had her will changed after her death by a Deed of Variation which effectively changed her will to leave the house to me and her three girls from a previous marriage in equal shares. If one of the girls dies before I do, her share goes to her kids. When I snuff it, my share goes to the three girls (or surviving girls). I had an addition too that allows me to live in the property until my demise and the survivorship clause so the house can't be sold until all four of us agree.

Get professional advice on making a will.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top