Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 07:15 PM

Re: Kitchen renovation

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I would always recommend the same company that supplies also to fit with such as kitchens, then any problems later on cannot be blamed on the fitter by the supplier, or the supplier by the fitter. We have just refitted ours using a local company that both supplied to our spec and used their own professional fitting team to install. If we have any problems in the future then, we only have one phone number to find.
My son and neighbour had the same local company to ft their kitchens a couple of years ago and they were excellent so much so my neighbour's daugher who lives in London had them to go down there and fit her kitchen and they made a lovely job there too.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My son and neighbour had the same local company to ft their kitchens a couple of years ago and they were excellent so much so my neighbour's daugher who lives in London had them to go down there and fit her kitchen and they made a lovely job there too.
These people live on their reputations Meg and are often very good, but like you advised earlier always try to get testimonials or preferably personal recommendations.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 09:53 PM

Howdens are trade-only but will plan your kitchen for free and may even help find a builder for you.

My new Howdens kitchen was installed by a local builder - the quality of the materials was excellent and the finish impressive.

https://www.howdens.com/advice-inspiration/how-to-buy/
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2016, 07:32 AM

I would always recommend the same company that supplies also to fit with such as kitchens, then any problems later on cannot be blamed on the fitter by the supplier, or the supplier by the fitter. We have just refitted ours using a local company that both supplied to our spec and used their own professional fitting team to install. If we have any problems in the future then, we only have one phone number to find.
Yes, I'd try to do that, but the things I want aren't always available at the same site.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2016, 07:33 AM

These people live on their reputations Meg and are often very good, but like you advised earlier always try to get testimonials or preferably personal recommendations.
Yes, if you actually know anyone who recommends anyone!
Lila
London UK

13-01-2016, 07:36 AM

I don't want anyone else planning my kitchen, I'm planning it, and would only expect builders etc. to tell me if my plan won't work, and if not, why not.

I'm thinking of dividing the job up into separate parts, and getting each part done according to my plan.

That would certainly take longer but it isn't urgent.

Anyway I am going to see the Homebase person today so will see what they recommend.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2016, 07:47 AM

Were moving into a new house soon where the kitchen is already finished. And one thing we will be changing is the hob & cooker, as theyre are both electric and were used to using gas.
Lila
London UK

13-01-2016, 07:57 AM

My kitchen was already done when I bought this house nearly 8 years ago (the previous owners had bought it just to do it up and resell). The first thing I wanted to do when I first viewed the house was to rip out the kitchen and start again, but it seemed too expensive as it was all new.

Yes, I think I'd prefer a gas oven but it depends what can be done.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2016, 10:06 AM

My advise would be use local tradesmen to do any work in your home.

We had a new main bathroom ( tiler-plumber-electrician) -window handle gear boxes replaced - door locks sorted out- new windows in the conservatory- oven cleaned- the plumber put in a new boiler and radiators or replaced with heated towel rails-new carpets and now waiting for new electric garage doors to be fitted.

Each and every one is a local tradesman and did an excellent job, they have to as local recommendations is how they get most of their business.

Using some national company is full of risks , the so called tradesmen come from anywhere and a lot I suspect arn't properly qualified. They also don't have to rely on recommendations as they get their work from the goods suppliers, ie shops
Lila
London UK

13-01-2016, 10:28 AM

The "My Builder" website also depends on local recommendations. You put in your postcode so only get replies from those willing to travel to that area, then you look up what they've done before.

And Homebase would be in trouble (breach of contract) if they sent someone inadequately qualified.

I think the chap who did my shower-room was fairly local, they wouldn't want to have to travel too far.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top