Join for free
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 09:29 AM

Gas Bill Subsidy?

Sorry if this question is a bit vague, but here goes

I'm 65, and receive my OAP and a couple of occupational pensions
I get the £200 winter fuel allowance, but I don't qualify for Pension Credit or any other benefits.

However, I heard on one of the TV consumer programmes recently that there is another fuel subsidy or benefit available of, I think they said, about £140 a month. But the energy companies don't advertise it, you have to know about it and ask.

I just caught the programme halfway through and can't remember many details, and it was over before I realised properly what they were talking about

So, please, has anyone else heard of this, and know anything about it?

Sorry I can't give you any more information
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 09:38 AM

Re: Gas Bill Subsidy?

£140 a month ! I doubt that - hope someone can shed more light on this for you
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 09:43 AM

I think it the gas bill subsidy that is given once a year by the company , subsidised by the government . If on pension credits you tell them and they will take £140 off your balance . It's worth a call to speak to them if your on a low income .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 09:49 AM

That sounds right Susan - I know there is a government 'one off' payment of £140
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:03 AM

Yes, a one off payment sounds more reasonable, I thought £140 a month was a bit generous!
I will check with my supplier
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:09 AM

If it's the Warm Home Discount you're talking about you can only get it if you're on a disability benefit or pension credits or have a young child, I believe.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:17 AM

Hi ZD As Tessa says it is the 'Warm Home Discount' and you need to be in receipt of certain benefits to qualify, you can check your eligibility below...
https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-dis...what-youll-get

This is in addition to the Winter Fuel allowance that all pensioner receive and the Cold Weather Payment for which some people qualify in extremely cold weather.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
£140 a month ! :shock: I doubt that - hope someone can shed more light on this for you

I doubt that too, Patsy!
What you may be getting muddled up with Zulu, is the "Warm Home Discount" which is £140. You have to be on Pension Credit though, and also it is a one-off payment, not every month!!

You might also get a "Cold Weather Payment" of around £25 if the weather in your local area stays at freezing or below for 7 consecutive days.

If you look on the government website it explains it all properly.
BlueEyes
UK
BlueEyes is female  BlueEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 01:17 PM

I have a friend not yet fifty who qualifies because he gets DLA .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top