Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 09:20 AM

Re: Women's early pension?

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I agree SF but, they've not given enough time for folk to adjust.
Nobody disputes the fact that men and women should get pensions at the same age, it's the way they're going about it that's wrong.
The only way forward is to pay higher NI and no one wants to, so state pensions will become unsustainable.
Hi

Totally agree.

The problem was known about 20 years ago, not only in respect of Pensions but also the effect on the NHS of people living longer.

Successive Governments did not want to know, more interested in winning the next election than dealing with a known issue.

If we had raised NI by 5% 20 years ago, we would not be in this mess, but the longer it went on, the more drastic the problem became.

Cameron boxed himself in, no NI or Income Rises, so no other thing to do but this unfair and very rapid raising of the retirement age.

It has other problems as well.

I do not want a sixty something fire officer carrying me down a ladder for example.

Building trades are very debilitating as well, tilers wear their knees out, etc etc.

My job can get somewhat boisterous from time to time, the older you get, the slower you get.

I personally believe that it would be much better to raise both NI and Income Tax so that people have longer to plan for these changes and ensure that we can all retire at a reasonable age.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 12:16 PM

The other alternative, which I'm sure the government would prefer, is that everyone arranges their own private pension contributions and health insurance.

Of course, if that's what they want there should be no need to pay any National Insurance then!

swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The other alternative, which I'm sure the government would prefer, is that everyone arranges their own private pension contributions and health insurance.

Of course, if that's what they want there should be no need to pay any National Insurance then!

Hi

I am sure they would like it, but the big problem is providing adequately for those who cannot as well as those who will not.

I have no problem at all with both being insurance based, after all it is not called National Insurance for nothing.

However the money does need to be ring fenced solely for it's intended purpose, not used elsewhere and it must be fully funded.

The other issue is this, it must be not given over to any private companies to run, it must be run solely by the Government, I do not want a single penny of it going to hedge funds, shareholders or fat cat salaries.

Loads of other Countries do it, no reason we can't.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am sure they would like it, but the big problem is providing adequately for those who cannot as well as those who will not.

I have no problem at all with both being insurance based, after all it is not called National Insurance for nothing.

However the money does need to be ring fenced solely for it's intended purpose, not used elsewhere and it must be fully funded.

The other issue is this, it must be not given over to any private companies to run, it must be run solely by the Government, I do not want a single penny of it going to hedge funds, shareholders or fat cat salaries.

Loads of other Countries do it, no reason we can't.

At the risk of being accused of being a 'cracked record', the money we pay in foreign aid would certainly help provide for the poorest of our own people.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 04:06 PM

I had a very encouraging letter from my MP today. He's tory but could be one of the good guys! I'll post it on here later!
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I had a very encouraging letter from my MP today. He's tory but could be one of the good guys! I'll post it on here later!
Well done Tess
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2016, 05:56 PM

if born between 6th oct 1954 - 5th April 1960 pension age for both men and women will be 66

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top