Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 01:17 AM

The new £1 coins

I read in yesterday's paper that this new 12-sided coin is set to cause chaos when it goes into circulation on 28th March.
Apparently thousands of parking and vending machines will be unable to accept it.
It will affect everything from parking meters and vending machines, to launderettes, gym lockers and even kids rides.

The British Parking Assoc. estimates adapting 400,000 payment machines will cost £50 million !!

The Royal Mint says the round pound coin had to go as there were around £45 million worth of fakes in circulation.

A study by Mastercard has found that there is an estimated £1.1 billion in unspent old £1 coins, which have been saved in piggy banks, hoarded in jars and pots, or just forgotten in drawers and down the back of the sofa.

The present round coins will cease to become legal tender on 15th October - so get sorting your piggy banks out folks.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 07:48 AM

Re: The new £1 coins

I am sure that many of us also bought a token for our shopping trollies, so I wonder if we will be able to swap them for new coin tokens. I have noticed that many supermarkets have stopped the fee for borrowing the trolley... so does this mean they will be stolen and eventually dumped everywhere again?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 09:25 AM

The new £1 coin is no better than the old pre-decimal threepenny bit. Is this an indication of just how much our coinage has devalued???
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
The new £1 coin is no better than the old pre-decimal threepenny bit. Is this an indication of just how much our coinage has devalued???
Not sure I understand what you are saying there UJ. If you are suggesting that the £1 coin buys no more that the old threepenny bit... of course it doesn't because, just like every other country, as wages rise so do prices so something that used to cost 3d will end up costing £1... it is inflation.
The real problem with the pound coin, is that there are too many people who want something for nothing, so have found a way to make fake ones. I think that are called criminals!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 12:04 PM

a shop keeper once told me a good way of testing whether a £1 coin is real or fake. Drop it onto it's edge onto a hard floor, if it bounces it's real, if it doesn't it's fake.

The usual chaos ahead as we struggle with parking machines etc.

I went into a shop yesterday and was given a load of £1 coins for change because they 'didn't have any notes.'

Mmmm!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 12:24 PM

This could actually become a significant problem for people.

When you turn up to the bank to deposit a load of old £1 coins before October, are they going to accpet the percentage of them that are fakes even though you are totally innocent and have no idea which are which?

If they don't then hanging on to any quantity of £1 coins is going to be a problem.

Everytime you buy anything now, even just a coffee, you are likely going to get one or more fake £1 coins handed over to you in change, which essentially means you are being robbed. You'll then have to palm them off on some other shop or machine.

Still never fear, we are moving enexorable closer to the point where you will have to have that chip implanted under the skin between your thumb and index finger so that you pay for everything with a wave of your hand. Cash no longer needed then. Then we'll be walking talking robots, bagged, tagged and tracked at every moment of every day.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
a shop keeper once told me a good way of testing whether a £1 coin is real or fake. Drop it onto it's edge onto a hard floor, if it bounces it's real, if it doesn't it's fake.

The usual chaos ahead as we struggle with parking machines etc.

I went into a shop yesterday and was given a load of £1 coins for change because they 'didn't have any notes.'

Mmmm!
The only problem with that is, when he bends down to pick the fake one up, the crook is off with the till.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
The only problem with that is, when he bends down to pick the fake one up, the crook is off with the till.
Sshhhh! Don't tell anyone.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 01:09 PM

When the pound coins started to replace £1 notes, a friend pulled a handful of change out of his pocket and said

Hey look! I've got some of those beer tokens!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This could actually become a significant problem for people.

When you turn up to the bank to deposit a load of old £1 coins before October, are they going to accpet the percentage of them that are fakes even though you are totally innocent and have no idea which are which?

If they don't then hanging on to any quantity of £1 coins is going to be a problem.

Everytime you buy anything now, even just a coffee, you are likely going to get one or more fake £1 coins handed over to you in change, which essentially means you are being robbed. You'll then have to palm them off on some other shop or machine.

Still never fear, we are moving enexorable closer to the point where you will have to have that chip implanted under the skin between your thumb and index finger so that you pay for everything with a wave of your hand. Cash no longer needed then. Then we'll be walking talking robots, bagged, tagged and tracked at every moment of every day.
A man has had this done.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-iPhone-6.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top