Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 10:50 PM

Re: Which tradesman?

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Get lost Swimmy....

Funnily, I had a similar guy to Mups's Dave except he was a plumber. The most horrible chap I have ever had dealings with.

Yes, pipe down Swim ...

Pesta, I hate to tell you this, but decorator Dave is also a plumber by trade.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, pipe down Swim ...

Pesta, I hate to tell you this, but decorator Dave is also a plumber by trade.

Gawd.... the world's full of 'em - how can we ever be expected to be happy, trusting and joyful with people like them fixing our houses

Shame I can't remember the name of my plumber. Might be the same one Mups
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 09:59 PM

How can 'Dry Rot' be caused by wet?

Here, let me enlighten you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_rot

When my old mum moved into her house when she came back to live in Yorkshire, the joists and some of the floorboards under her living room were riddle with dry rot which is a kind of fungus produced after timber that has been wet begins to dry out. Under the floor used to fill with water in wet weather because of poor drainage (not mentioned on surveyors report). Some berk had also filled in the air-bricks.

Muggings here had to go under the floor and replace sections of joists, scrape off the dry-rot mould and dispose of it safely before spraying the whole area with an anti-fungal spray and fitting new floorboards. This lasted about fifteen years before she decided to have the whole lot done. Damp proofed throughout and the under-floor tanked as well as replacing the entire floors of the lounge and kitchen. A major job - the firm managed to replace the kitchen floorboards with the units still in situ, just needed to remove the appliances. She was forced to live upstairs for a fortnight until the work was completed.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 10:00 PM

Thank you oh wise one.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 10:02 PM

Pah! Being wise don't help me though does it

I'm in a mood.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 10:32 AM

How can 'Dry Rot' be caused by wet?
Its caused buy wet wood drying out and the dry Old wood starts to produce dry rot spores.

Edit see Judd gave a better discription...spit spit
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 10:31 AM

I used to work for a damp proofing company typing up the reports, so know all about the importance of seeing to dampness in the early stages! Also how to avoid condensation: I have never had this in over 24 years in this flat, yet neighbouring flats have suffered terrible mould patches.

Wet Rot - Merulius Lacrymans
Dry Rot - Serpula Lacrymans

And Anobium Punctatum (common furniture beetle).

God, how many times did I have to type 'a severe infestation of Serpula Lacrymans (dry rot) was noted to......' And the rest!

This company used to pick an estimate, for dry rot repairs, then double it!! (No, they are no longer operating...)

This is why I was paranoid when I had the leakage from the upstairs bathroom and the resultant damage to my bathroom ceiling. I had to keep on and on at the landlord to sort it out.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top