Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 02:20 PM

Re: How often do you clean your washing machine?

we began to get smelly clothes after they came out the washer ,I didnt realise it was the washer that smelled,not had that problem in over 40 yrs .So i didnt put two and two together till i got my head in .
so every month we put a washing machine cleaner through and the smell has not returned .I think its down to soft water ,although i have black spots in the dispenser.
The trap at the bottom of the machine has to be unscrewed ,last time i did it water came out but not much else ..
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 02:42 PM

Its a combination of low temperature washes, non bio washing powders, plastic outer drums, and cold fill only, that cause the bad smells and black mould to build up in your washer, you can see this in the soap drawer that will go black, as no hot water goes into them anymore, the best thing to do is either, switch to bio washing powders/ liquids, or use a dedicated washing machine cleaner, ( soda crystals will do) and run at 90 degrees, you will still need to pull out the soap drawer and clean in hot water, ( don't forget to clean out the inside of the soap drawer too) do this every couple of months or so, or more frequently if really bad..
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 02:56 PM

Once every 6 weeks, on average.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 03:26 PM

Good grief!
I'm confused with all these posts!

Made up my own recipe..swims
Soda crystals...Feey
Borax...Julie
White vinegar...Morti
Citric acid...Omah
Blah blah blah!!!

How much, where does it go, what temp and when please!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 03:30 PM

90 degree boil wash Ruthio vinegar entire bottle tesco own brand. Borax a tablespoon in the drum again a boil wash.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Good grief!
I'm confused with all these posts!

Made up my own recipe..swims
Soda crystals...Feey
Borax...Julie
White vinegar...Morti
Citric acid...Omah
Blah blah blah!!!

How much, where does it go, what temp and when please!
White vinegar is a great descaler and sanitiser but I think it's the soda crystals that remove the gunk.
Soda crystals or bicarb of soda are also great for putting down plugholes or outside grids for breaking down scum and nasty little trapped food stuffs.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
90 degree boil wash Ruthio vinegar entire bottle tesco own brand. Borax a tablespoon in the drum again a boil wash.
Two boil washes?
One with an entire bottle of white vinegar and one with tablesp borax in the drum.
So doesn't the vinegar go in the drum??

I'm writing all this down, will discuss with lordruthio over a mince pie later
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 03:48 PM

Hi

Home Bargains or B&M for the commercial stuff, saves all the bother Ruthio.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

17-12-2017, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
White vinegar is a great descaler and sanitiser but I think it's the soda crystals that remove the gunk.
Soda crystals or bicarb of soda are also great for putting down plugholes or outside grids for breaking down scum and nasty little trapped food stuffs.
Yes I use soda crystals for drain and sink...and a teasp in boiling water in the mug my sis-in-law has drunk her strong black tea out of to remove the stains what does it do to her stomach!! the tea I mean, not the soda crystals

So where do the soda crystals go in the washing macine?
And how much?

This is getting very exciting!
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Yes I use soda crystals for drain and sink...and a teasp in boiling water in the mug my sis-in-law has drunk her strong black tea out of to remove the stains what does it do to her stomach!! the tea I mean, not the soda crystals

So where do the soda crystals go in the washing macine?
And how much?

This is getting very exciting!
PMSL...and also very educational...I'm paying attention to every word written

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top