Join for free
Page 10 of 16 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 11:17 AM

Re: Runner Beans

Marge is growing some in our raised bed that I recently made (and knackered myself in the process).
She gets a large handful almost every day and they are nice and soft, although they are not my favourite vegetable.
Much better than broccoli, however. I won't allow broccoli anywhere near my mouth.
John leave
Hertfordshire
John leave is male  John leave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 02:10 PM

I'm new on here so hi all.
I am thinking of building a trug myself was it hard to build.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by John leave ->
I'm new on here so hi all.
I am thinking of building a trug myself was it hard to build.
Hi, John.

If you mean a raised bed, I can tell you of my experiences.

We have some pretty solid clay ground and so I decided to use concrete blocks.

I placed twenty-six 4" x 9" x 18" blocks in two layers forming slightly curved walls (to fit in with existing arrangements).

I first dug down a few inches to more solid ground (including some small rocks that could have been left there by the original builders!) then placed the lower layer where I wanted them.

Using pieces of wood so as not to shatter the blocks, I knocked down the blocks with a heavy mallet as far as I could, checking for level as I did so.

I then glued, yes glued!, the upper layer on top using Gorilla Glue. I did this rather than using mortar as mortar only holds things apart; I wanted them firmly attached in case of any slight movement so that the walls would retain their shape. I did then use some mortar to fill the gaps as well.

We then filled the void with a mixture of new, clean soil, compost and something else (? can't remember what it was - the wife is the gardener and she knew what composition would be best!).

That was it, and it has proved very effective. Things are growing very well, especially runner beans, considering it is our first attempt.

I'm becoming sick of runner beans.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Marge is growing some in our raised bed that I recently made (and knackered myself in the process).
She gets a large handful almost every day and they are nice and soft, although they are not my favourite vegetable.
Much better than broccoli, however. I won't allow broccoli anywhere near my mouth.
Show off!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-08-2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Show off!
No, a large handful of RUNNER BEANS!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 01:20 PM

Mine are coming on nicely with loads of beans on them and no sign of blackfly. Maybe, it was good that l planted them later this year.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mine are coming on nicely with loads of beans on them and no sign of blackfly. Maybe, it was good that l planted them later this year.
Yes maybe you are right. I am still getting plenty but some of them are like chewing wood.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes maybe you are right. I am still getting plenty but some of them are like chewing wood.
Pick them smaller they go very stringy if you allowed them to grow to big.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-08-2018, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Pick them smaller they go very stringy if you allowed them to grow to big.
Yeah, been trying that Galty, about 6 -8". Some are ok some are not but it's hard to tell until you bite into them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 05:54 PM

Is anyone still picking runner beans .
I have got lots of tiny beans on there but I fear the two early hard frosts we have had in the last week checked their growth and I won't get anymore

Page 10 of 16 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top