Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 04:12 AM

Sealant for toilet cistern

I have just replaced the inlet mechanism for a toilet cistern because it had become worn at the base and was leaking water.
After tightening up the unit to the brass nut and olive underneath the cistern, then hand-tightening the white plastic washer the unit should have been watertight. But it wasn't. I was back at square one with a steady drip of water having to be collected in a container on the floor and tipped away at regular intervals.
You would think the black rubber washer between the base of the unit and the cistern would had sufficed, but after getting advice I was told that I should perhaps have used some sealant on the base also.

Has anyone done this task before and which is the best waterproof sealant to use?
Thanks
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 07:15 AM

Re: Sealant for toilet cistern

We use one this one: https://www.plumbingworld.co.uk/jet-...d-sealant-7474
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 08:38 AM

Just half way through heaving the cystern off the toilet. I have three toilets here and none leak because I make sure the aperture is clean and put a smear of washing up liquid around the hole and the rubber to ensure a tight fit. No sealant needed.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 08:42 AM

You shouldn't need sealant as well as the rubber washer, but whenever I replace items in a cistern I smear a little Vaseline on the mating surfaces before re-assembly to ensure a good seal and never seem to have leakage problems, well not with the cistern anyway....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 09:44 AM

As mentioned Floydy, sealant shouldn't be necessary (or that's what the manufacturers say anyway) but real life is not the same. Any sanitary sealant will do but if you want the best go for Dow Corning.

This is what I would try first. If the internal conical washer looks ok and not distorted, I would loosen the plastic back nut and washer and insert sealant between the thread and the hole (from the outside) then re-tighten. This way the rubber washer will not become slippery and slide through the hole. Obviously you will need to drain everything from the cistern first. Everything needs to be dry too.

Good luck mate.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 02:30 PM

Looking at this again, I notice that I haven't placed a washer between the outside back plastic nut and the cistern - there wasn't one supplied. That may be the problem.
I'll take it all apart (when I get some time) and have another go. I may just put some sealant inside around the base of the inlet mechanism also.

Thanks very much for your advice and tips lads, much appreciated
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 02:41 PM

Mastic.

Always used it when I installed toilets..basins
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Looking at this again, I notice that I haven't placed a washer between the outside back plastic nut and the cistern - there wasn't one supplied. That may be the problem.
I'll take it all apart (when I get some time) and have another go. I may just put some sealant inside around the base of the inlet mechanism also.

Thanks very much for your advice and tips lads, much appreciated
I'm pretty sure that will be it Floydy. Is there one on the old one you can use?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I have just replaced the inlet mechanism for a toilet cistern because it had become worn at the base and was leaking water.
After tightening up the unit to the brass nut and olive underneath the cistern, then hand-tightening the white plastic washer the unit should have been watertight.
The inlet was underneath??
Wickes shower and bathroom silicone sealant.
If it's threads you want to seal PTFE thread sealing tape might be the way to go,
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-07-2018, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
The inlet was underneath??
Wickes shower and bathroom silicone sealant.
If it's threads you want to seal PTFE thread sealing tape might be the way to go,
No, the brass nut and olive pipe is underneath.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top