Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 05:34 PM

Scorch?

Anyone else had the sun scorching plants during this heatwsave?

I've had it badly burn one of my new 'Pinks' and it has scorched one of my Azaleas too.
Now I see it has burnt some bedding Verbena, along with some leaves on a young Peony too! Never had this happen before.

It's not because I am watering the leaves either, because I know that's asking for trouble.

Anyone else noticed any of theirs scorched this year?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 05:36 PM

Re: Scorch?

Not so much my plants but my grass has died
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 05:37 PM

Yes, have had a couple of things burnt by the sun. I have been watering at night at around 9.30 and avoiding the leaves but I think the water is evaporating too fast. I sometimes have to water my beans during the day too as they start to wilt. the Acers are the main problem for me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, have had a couple of things burnt by the sun. I have been watering at night at around 9.30 and avoiding the leaves but I think the water is evaporating too fast. I sometimes have to water my beans during the day too as they start to wilt. the Acers are the main problem for me.

Yes, those Acer leaves do scorch don't they. They don't like full sun for long do they.
What a shame after all our TLC, isn't it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-07-2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Not so much my plants but my grass has died

Yes LQ, mine looks pretty grim too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, those Acer leaves do scorch don't they. They don't like full sun for lond do they.
What a shame after all our TLC, isn't it.
The leaves always look so nice when they re-grow in the spring but they do hate the sun, even when it's not particularly hot like most years.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 06:00 PM

My Acer and also New Guinea Impatiens have taken a (sun) beating this year.

What I've been doing to try to minimise the damage is....last year I bought a cheapo garden parasol (not one of those massive heavy ones!) and I've been moving it round the garden to shade the vulnerable plants from the worst of the sun.

It's also handy to move around so I can work under it and not get sunburned myself.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 06:10 PM

My beautiful hosta is totally scorched. It’s the only one that’s suffering. My acer which took a severe battering from the wind a year or so ago seems to like this weather and is thriving
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 06:12 PM

Roses are suffering, bedding plants in the borders have all died, I am saving the water for the greenhouse stuff, beans and courgettes. The potted dahlias get watered in the morning, it’s difficult deciding which you have to let die
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 06:17 PM

I've lost lots of plants mainly conifers. I moved them here from my old place and don't think they'd put down new roots in time before this heat started.
Roses are doing well so are the hydrangea (strangely) but they're sheltered after first thing in the morning.

My sister who lives about a mile up hill from me had her patio doors shatter with the heat (karma)! One of the selling points when she bought her house was that the garden was the hottest in Britain.
It has views right across Cheddar and beyond.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top