Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Re: 'Setting benefits by inflation is unfair'

Meanwhile the government that has all the power is bringing in some really unfair laws such as this one that will mean that pensioners will not get a proper rise in their pensions. We have already had the cold weather payments slashed this year.

While I agree it is good to look at the bigger picture we need to do something else rather than just sit by and criticise.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 05:14 PM

While I agree it is good to look at the bigger picture we need to do something else rather than just sit by and criticise.

Cate darlin' - if only I could. Regrettably my days of protest and carrying banners in demonstrations and marches are sadly long since past. My Arthritis makes walking (particularly long distances - like marches) excruciatingly painful.

If some-one would get me a T72 Tank, I'll willingly ride it, park it on South side of Westminster Bridge and squeeze the trigger!!!
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 08:44 PM

No need for a tank, I sign every petition going, I write to my MP on a daily basis. They always reply not very helpfully but I just keep on and on like a dull tooth ache. Honestly I believe that we can make things better. I agree ill health may hold us back from marching but we still have the ability to write.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Cate darlin' - I've lost count of the number of petitions I've signed over the years. I now have a good MP - Dr Caroline Lucas - leader of the 'Green' Party and some of her liberal views happen to coincide with mine - hence there is little point in me writing to her as she will already be raising the issue in the 'House' without my intervention.

Besides which, its not just the political party I want to change, but the whole system - the abolition of the House of Lords entirely, the abolition of the Monarchy, a directly elected second chamber and the establishment of a Presidential head of state who can be voted in/out of office as and when the population determine. I am a supporter of 'Republic' and receive many emails from 'Democracy' too (among others).
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

11-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Yay, we could become America's little brother.

Once our queen has gone the monarchy will fall apart I think, this thought saddens me.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

11-11-2011, 04:30 PM

Yay, we could become America's little brother.

Cate darlin' - OVER MY DEAD BODY!!! no way do I want to be anything like America - there are plenty of other European countries who managed to deal appropriately with their aristocracy (France, Russia, Germany, Austria, Hungary & Greece) to name but a few.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

11-11-2011, 04:43 PM

Are you kidding do you really think that France and Russia dealt appropriately with their aristocracy?

I've lived in America and they have just as many complaints about their government as we do. Democracy? I don't think so.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

11-11-2011, 04:56 PM

Are you kidding do you really think that France and Russia dealt appropriately with their aristocracy?

Yes Cate darlin' and the Germans, Austrians, Hungarians, Roumanians, Italians to name a few more.

As for America - no I agree they do not have what I would call a 'proper' democracy, but then that's up to the American public to resolve their own domestic political problems instead of 'lecturing and hectoring' other countries politicians.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

14-11-2011, 04:04 PM

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/benefits-ri...121452488.html

Looks like our fears were unfounded.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/benefits-ri...121452488.html

Looks like our fears were unfounded.
That's good Cate it's not as if we are talking about a fortune in the first place is it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top