Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 05:41 PM

Re: Tips for cold weather

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Jump on a plane to Lanzarote, it's sunny here. But don't eat any lamb!
Good advice and even better advice.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 07:03 PM

Good tip here....don't forget to have a wee before you take your dog out for an hour in sub zero temperatures
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Thank you all for the helpful suggestions although I don't have an outside tap, fish, below snow or ripped jeans .

I have bought a camping stove this morning in case the electricity goes off, there is no gas out in the countryside.
I have a camping ring but haven't used it for many year and it look a bit rusty and unsafe.

I can now fill a hot water bottle if needed and have all kinds of delights cooked on my ring (in the garage with the door open) Once when the power was off for 4 days we had porridge, stew and dumplings and drop scones with jam and many other tasty things cooked on one ring.
It's good to learn from our experiences Meg.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-02-2018, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Socks over shoes seem to make it less slippy but still be careful.

Best is only go out if you have to it amazes me how many people seem to go out for daftest reasons and come a cropper.
I agree. I hate seeing elderly people struggling along in the snow and ice.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-02-2018, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Good tip here....don't forget to have a wee before you take your dog out for an hour in sub zero temperatures
Ha ha. did that happen today Nicol?
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Ha ha. did that happen today Nicol?
Yeah, this morning. I was bursting by the time I got back and only just made it

There is no way I could have nipped behind a handy shrub with the amount of clothes I had on and the cold weather just makes you want to go more often. Roll on summer
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Jump on a plane to Lanzarote, it's sunny here. But don't eat any lamb!
Why shouldn"t we eat the lamb Sweetie ?
x
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Why shouldn"t we eat the lamb Sweetie ?
x
You sure it was the lamb?
Hope youre feeling better now!
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:11 PM

Other than the obvious, like wearing layers and hats and gloves (I put mittens over my gloves!), etc....

We let an inside tap drip when it's really cold. It's stopped us getting freezing pipes for years in -20s C weather.
But just in case, know where the main water shut off valve is and mark it so you can find it quickly. If a water pipe bursts, shutting that off will minimize any damage.

Check on the elderly to make sure they are keeping warm, and have enough food, medication, etc.

Careful of portable heating devices. It's scary how many fires are started with them each winter.

If you're shivering, get in out of the cold. It's the first sign of hypothermia.

If you're driving, stock your car with water, food, blankets, and extra sets of clothes just in case you get stuck.

Make sure you have batteries for those torches in case of power loss.

Keep the fridge closed as much as possible. Did you know a full fridge will stay colder longer than a half-full one?

Most of all, stay safe.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:25 PM

I am a wuss in the cold, before I go out in the morning I stick my coat, shirt, jumper and jeans on the radiators so I get the Ready Brek effect on the way to the bus stop.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top