Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 12:03 AM

Re: The Beast From The East?

I still can't believe the whole country always stops when we have a bit of snow. Somehow places like scandinavia & most of the US/Canada manage to get through whole winters of the same without batting an eyelid. It's always such a drama and there's nothing on the news apart from the weather.

I had to work from home today because my car was being returned after a repair. So the guy from the garage turns up and he's parked the car. I phone him and he tells me where he's parked. I say to him does he mind turning it around while he's there as it's easier for me to drive it on the other side of the road as there is less snow covered road in that direction. He says no he can't do that because he is worried he will get stuck in the snow turning it! Unbelievable. After he left I had to go turn it myself. So annoying as he could have done it while he was waiting for his mate to pick him up. A little bit of snow is so scary....
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I still can't believe the whole country always stops when we have a bit of snow. Somehow places like scandinavia & most of the US/Canada manage to get through whole winters of the same without batting an eyelid. It's always such a drama and there's nothing on the news apart from the weather.

I had to work from home today because my car was being returned after a repair. So the guy from the garage turns up and he's parked the car. I phone him and he tells me where he's parked. I say to him does he mind turning it around while he's there as it's easier for me to drive it on the other side of the road as there is less snow covered road in that direction. He says no he can't do that because he is worried he will get stuck in the snow turning it! Unbelievable. After he left I had to go turn it myself. So annoying as he could have done it while he was waiting for his mate to pick him up. A little bit of snow is so scary....
Why should he risk damaging it because it's easier for you?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Why should he risk damaging it because it's easier for you?
He was a wuss. Managed to drive it there on a snowy road.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 12:12 AM

Havn't been able to get out for two days . The east wind whipping up the fallen snow into drifts blocking my route out.
Nothing's moving and it's supposed to be a secondary area to be cleared after the main roads in town.
One lady I know who has to go for dialysis three times a week had to be dug out this morning by a small group of men and taken off in a vehicle obviously capable of taking the steep street out.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 12:15 AM

He was a wuss. Managed to drive it there on a snowy road.
He's done his job and delivered it......anything else, in this weather, is extending the risk.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

02-03-2018, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
He's done his job and delivered it......anything else, in this weather, is extending the risk.
He was sitting in my car waiting for his mate. Should I have chucked him out as he had arrived? I asked him to do one small thing - Wuss!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I do. A group of us were telling some kids about it today (they were off school because of the weather poor lambs). We weren't let off school no matter how bad the weather.

Some of the modern railway companies could take a leaf out of British Rail's book - no stopping for leaves on the line in those days, just bung a snow-plough on the front of the engine in snowy weather and off you go...
Interestingly, there was a TV program tonight about the winter of 63 which almost brought the country to a standstill. None of the mass panic like there is now, everyone just knuckled down and got on with it.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

02-03-2018, 12:50 AM

He was sitting in my car waiting for his mate. Should I have chucked him out as he had arrived? I asked him to do one small thing - Wuss!
So he delivered your car in snow and he's a wuss?

Why do I get the feeling your attitude may have had something to do with his reluctance?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 01:08 AM

My first reaction to the thred title was that Tpin was announcing his return to the forum .

Put a coat on that poor little dog.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 01:08 AM

AnnieS

I agree with your first paragraph
Russia and the Scandinavian Countries do not come to a stand-still when it snows, nor does Switzerland
In Switzerland in particular all car owners are required by law to change
their Tyres every Winter to Winter Tyres.

They still drive up and down mountains to work in heavy snow

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top