Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 04:52 AM

Re: Should we have an age limit on the Elderly buying Puppies.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Each case is different and there are 'fors' and 'againsts' for both young and older owners.
Bit like driving a car in a way. You shouldn't have to be forbidden just because you have retired. Other things need to be taken into consideration too.

Younger homes

1. A younger family are often at work all day, and the dog is left sitting looking at a brick wall until someone gets home.

2. A young household with noisy, rough kids can be very worrying for some dogs, especially if the kids are allowed to pull the dog about.
I have seen some parents putting their kids on the dogs back for a ride!!

3. Different breeds usually have different temperaments, and needs.
Not everyone bothers to do even the slightest research on their chosen breed before buying.

4. It is irresponsible, and even dangerous to let young children take dogs out without an adult accompanying them.
Do the parents ever consider what would happen if an off-lead dog attacked their dog? How would their children ever manage a full-blown dog fight?
Also, there are thousands of cases now where dogs are being snatched from the dog walker, especially from a woman on her own - or kids!

For older homes

1. Older people are more likely to be home more, so have the time to spend with a dog and enjoy each others company more.

2. Many older dogs in rescue are unwanted, because the kids want a fluffy, cuddly puppy. Many of these 'oldies' just want a quiet life to finish their days. They don't always cope with noisy youngsters rushing about, especially if they have a few aches and pains to contend with, so an older person would be far more suitable.

3. Should a restriction put in place purely because of age?
What about experience, someone who has had dogs their entire life and has a vast knowledge?
As long as they are still reasonably fit, why should they be denied a dog because they have reached retirement age or whatever?
You can unhealthy younger owners too! Anyone can fall ill.

4. Tis true a young pup MIGHT live for 15 years, but there is no guarantee of that.
Again, it depends on so many things like the breed itself, (usually the bigger the dog, the shorter the life span). Then there's inherited health problems, upbringing, having good quality food, good veterinary care etc. etc. and even then, any dog can still fall ill and die at a young age - same as ourselves! Do all humans live to 100?

In some cases I do not think it would be wise for an elderly person to take on a boisterous puppy, but there again, I know some younger adults who shouldn't be allowed to have a gerbil, let alone a pup!

Some problems with unsuitable homes are because some well-meaning soul has bought a dog for somebody else as a surprise, and without their knowledge. Christmas present dogs are aperfect example.

Some people buy online from third party 'dealers', and haven't a clue about the parentage, weaning or rearing that has gone on.
Third party dealers need stamping out completely.

Another common problem in younger homes, is parents buying a dog "for the kids".
When the novelty wears off, or they want to go on holiday, the poor dog becomes a tie, and a nuisance all of a sudden.
This doesn't happen in older homes either!

Lastly, yes my youngest dog has just turned two now. Should I have had her?
3 days after I bought her I found out she had a heart valve problem. I would be surprised if she lived for 15 years.
I could have returned her to her breeder, but I chose to keep her. I shall love and cherish her every day of her life, however long that may be. And if I pop off first, she will be safe and catered for, same as all my others. Not one will go into rescue.

So you see, not all older homes are bad homes.
Great post Mups.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Dog Rescue Centres often have an age limit on those who adopt.

There is good reason for this,

Why do we not have an age limit on those buying Puppies?

The Puppies will often outlive their owners.
I remember saying ages ago that people of retirement age or above should not get a puppy and was stomped on by all and sundry.

Nothing has changed my mind since. I think it is cruel and selfish.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 05:04 AM

Hi

The reason I posted was whilst looking for a rescue dog, I have been struck by the number of dogs in rescue homes which have to be kept together.

Two or three which have been together in the same home and splitting them up is not an option.

These are much more difficult to rehome and spend a lot longer in the kennels.

I find this sad.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Each case is different and there are 'fors' and 'againsts' for both young and older owners.
Bit like driving a car in a way. You shouldn't have to be forbidden just because you have retired. Other things need to be taken into consideration too.

Snipped cos the above says it all.

Your whole post was well presented Mups.
And the first paragraph really says it all.
Thank you!
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 06:23 AM

I didnt realise that dog adoption agencies had age limits. What is the age limit please?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 06:41 AM

Mups - what an excellent, well expressed and thoughtful post! It says it all. If I were a dog - I would want to be with you!

Swimmy - why are you even considering a dog when you are thinking of moving? Much better to wait until you are settled in your new home first, then gauge the time and space you are prepared to give. Dogs are sociable animals and do need the company of their owners - not just a series of carers. Yes - your pretendies might like to help now - but they are growing up and will, inevitably, want to go off and 'do their own thing' as all children do.

Age restrictions - in general I am against formal restrictions. Older people should, perhaps, be encouraged to take on older dogs/cats - but to refuse purely on the grounds of age is not good - younger people can make just as bad owners as older people. Common sense should rule that one.

Annie - I believe it does sometimes apply to cats as well. They may appear aloof and independent - but often that is just a facade - they can be just as insecure and in need of a loving owner as dogs can. One of mine - Willow - came from Cat's Protection. She had been rescued from an abusive home and was totally traumatized by that - and by being kept in cage for a few months until she came to me. It was fully 6 months before she would allow me to touch her, and almost a year before I could pick her up and cuddle her. As an 'older' owner I had the patience to let her find her own way out of her trauma and am rewarded daily by her affection. A younger, busier person may not have had the patience, especially if was their first time as a cat owner, and just sent her back.

I have made good secure arrangements for my cats in my will and my executors are reliable. Would I have another cat at my time of life - certainly I would - not a kitten though - an older cat who, much like myself, would appreciate a little loving care and companionship in her/his declining years.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I didnt realise that dog adoption agencies had age limits. What is the age limit please?
Not sure about dogs, MC, but you have to be 18+ to adopt a cat from Cat's Protection.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 06:50 AM

Surely there are lots of older dogs in kennels that need homes isn't that the perfect solution?

I have three cats I didn't own any of them as kittens I took them all on when they needed a home....I like the fact I was their hero in saving them....who knows what their fate would have been if I hadn't
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Mups - what an excellent, well expressed and thoughtful post! It says it all. If I were a dog - I would want to be with you!

Swimmy - why are you even considering a dog when you are thinking of moving? Much better to wait until you are settled in your new home first, then gauge the time and space you are prepared to give. Dogs are sociable animals and do need the company of their owners - not just a series of carers. Yes - your pretendies might like to help now - but they are growing up and will, inevitably, want to go off and 'do their own thing' as all children do.

Age restrictions - in general I am against formal restrictions. Older people should, perhaps, be encouraged to take on older dogs/cats - but to refuse purely on the grounds of age is not good - younger people can make just as bad owners as older people. Common sense should rule that one.

Annie - I believe it does sometimes apply to cats as well. They may appear aloof and independent - but often that is just a facade - they can be just as insecure and in need of a loving owner as dogs can. One of mine - Willow - came from Cat's Protection. She had been rescued from an abusive home and was totally traumatized by that - and by being kept in cage for a few months until she came to me. It was fully 6 months before she would allow me to touch her, and almost a year before I could pick her up and cuddle her. As an 'older' owner I had the patience to let her find her own way out of her trauma and am rewarded daily by her affection. A younger, busier person may not have had the patience, especially if was their first time as a cat owner, and just sent her back.

I have made good secure arrangements for my cats in my will and my executors are reliable. Would I have another cat at my time of life - certainly I would - not a kitten though - an older cat who, much like myself, would appreciate a little loving care and companionship in her/his declining years.

Hi

My house move is weeks away, subject to the usual.

My new house has been bought with a dog in mind.

The littlies will grow up, I realise that, however my lodgers will be there when I go away.

They are very dog friendly.

I plan for things.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 07:53 AM

I think we all plan for things, but unfortunately life never fits in with those plans..... that is why i have made instruction & provision for my pets care, in my will.

I have had pet cats for 45 years and have always made provision for them, should I die......... after all I could be run over by a bus tomorrow. If there is any life after death, I want to be sure that my responsibilities will be cared for as well as I have cared for them, so I really can RIP!

When we take pets, we care for them and teach them that we will always provide food and shelter for them ... that is why pets are less able to look after themselves, if we die and make no provision for them.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top