Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 07:18 PM

Some people seem not to care about their pet’s welfare .

It makes me pretty angry A couple of years ago a couple in my street moved in . They had two large dogs which they left all day while they went out to work . Hot days arrived and this must have been hell for those animals cooped up .
Complaints were made about this and eventually the RSPCA took the animals away .
I wasn’t one to report the couple ,I’d heard it on the grapevine that someone else had .
Now I know someone else is leaving their dog every weekday .
I’m being opinionated I know but I don’t think people ought to have a dog if they’re out at work all day .
I probably won’t report the other people . Would you?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 07:29 PM

Re: Some people seem not to care about their pet’s welfare .

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
It makes me pretty angry A couple of years ago a couple in my street moved in . They had two large dogs which they left all day while they went out to work . Hot days arrived and this must have been hell for those animals cooped up .
Complaints were made about this and eventually the RSPCA took the animals away .
I wasn’t one to report the couple ,I’d heard it on the grapevine that someone else had .
Now I know someone else is leaving their dog every weekday .
I’m being opinionated I know but I don’t think people ought to have a dog if they’re out at work all day .
I probably won’t report the other people . Would you?

Many people have dogs, who are at work all day, how do you know they don’t get a walker in for a certain time during the day?

My neighbour is out to work all day, a man in a van comes and takes her dogs away for an hour, to walk them, I know this because I asked for his number, it was £11 an hour to walk a single dog, a little cheaper to walk 2, which I had at the time.

A neighbour across from me, has two small dogs, ( another neighbour) who leave their dogs all day, they bark most of the day, I noticed yesterday by accident as I was looking out of my window, someone turned up and took them away in a car, presumably to walk them, the funny thing was ,he returned them, when yet again I was looking out of my window.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 07:53 PM

Pauline , I probably don’t live in as affluent area as you if people can afford to pay that to someone for walking their dog .Is that £11 an hour per day every working day ? Crikey! Does the walker advertise this on his van ?
As for your other neighbour ,have they been told their dogs are barking all day? ?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 08:04 PM

I would say something to your other neighbours and see what they think. Based on their opinion, I would consider putting in a complaint. These dogs can't speak for themselves, and I would complain if I were in your shoes. I had words with the neighbours daughter who swore to her mother that she was taking the mothers dog out during the day. She wasn't, so I mentioned it to her because the mother was complaining that the dog seemed unwell as it was messing in the house. I did it in a friendly non confrontational way - which wasn't well received, I may add (!) but still...she does come some days and take the dog out.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 08:27 PM

IMO many if not most people shouldn't have a mutt. We've discussed it and sadly decided that it wouldn't be fare for a hound at our age.

Old Snot is easy enough. He's of indeterminate age and can just be ignored all the time other than being fed and creamed, taken to the vet every six months, deloused, kept warm, left on HIS cushion, allowed the run of the house, scratched when he wants to be scratched, and in all other ways just left to his own devices.

But a dog, that's a different matter. It's a shame though but it's only fair. I HATE cruelty and if we were to get another dog it would be cruel and selfish so we won't.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 08:54 PM

A couple two doors up from me had 2 Spaniels, they were at work all weekdays too & had a shed in the garden with a run attached that they could get to that they converted into a kennel for the dogs. Those dogs used to bark a lot also & one day one ended up in my garden having dug it's way out of the run. The other one didn't escape. I tried to return the dog but couldn't get in the side gate, so I took him home & he stayed with me all the rest of the day.
On the woman returning I took the dog back & told her what I thought of them leaving the dogs alone all day, even if they did have a place to be in. She was very short with me, even after I told her someone could have taken that dog & she'd never have seen it again.
She didn't seem to care, anyway, soon after the house was sold & they moved away. That was another couple who shouldn't have had a dog let alone two of them.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Pauline , I probably don’t live in as affluent area as you if people can afford to pay that to someone for walking their dog .Is that £11 an hour per day every working day ? Crikey! Does the walker advertise this on his van ?
As for your other neighbour ,have they been told their dogs are barking all day? ?

I think that is cheap, he turned up in a large transit van, with fitted dog cages in the back, there is no advertisement on the van.

Regarding the other neighbours, no I haven’t told them about their dogs barking, I would not get personally involved, there are channels to go through.

I did phone the council a few years ago, they sent me a form to fill in ,as the time the dogs were barking and how long for, they then seemed to stop barking so often,I didn’t bother filling it in.

Even though you say the area you live in isn’t as affluent as mine, you still don’t know if they get someone in to walk their dog ,or do you? some neighbours walk dogs for free,i was one such neighbour, this is going back around 6 yrs ago now.

Dogs can be left alone for 4 hours, they shouldn’t be left any longer, according to the RSPCA, but many are, maybe someone reported my neighbour,for leaving her dogs all day, hence the guy taking them out yesterday?

My question is, how can you prove that a neighbour leaves their dog home alone for over eight hours?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 09:07 PM

This should come as welcome news to pet owners and animal lovers...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...ers-court-case
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 09:08 PM

Many of the people who rushed out and purchased a dog when they were off work have contributed to this problem. Now they are having to return to work.

To me, the problem is two-fold though.
It is partly selfish owners who don't understand their dog's needs at all, and partly ignorant or greedy breeders who sell an animal to people who work full time in the first place.

Dogs don't naturally choose to live alone, they prefer groups or 'packs'.
They hunt, eat, sleep and play together. Humans come along and take them away from their mother and siblings, the only family they have ever known.
All the familiar sounds, smells, playmates, and way of life changes in a minute and no one can explain why.

New owners then often get exasperated when the poor little mite cries or won't eat, it doesn't seem to enter their head this pup has never eaten or slept alone is his little life, then when he is frightened and upset, even his Mummy has disappeared too!

Then comes time to go off to work. No one can explain to the dog what time means, or that they will be at 5 pm. In the dogs head, he has been abandoned again.
He needs to wee and poo and doesn't know where to go.
He gets hungry so cries a bit louder.
Eventually he starts getting destructive because he is bored and lonely.
The humans come home, and tell him off, perhaps even smack him!
Is this what he has waited all day long for?

Meanwhile, neighbours start complaining. And so his miserable, lonely new life continues . . . .. and all because money grabbing breeders care more about grabbing the money than they do about doing their very best to ensure the pup's future well being.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 09:18 PM

Many self centred folks out there, want the world to revolve round them, there is nothing that can be done.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top