Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 09:32 PM

Re: Some people seem not to care about their pet’s welfare .

As counterintuitive as it sounds, one of the best solutions for working families is to own two dogs. That way they always have company.

Dogs at home for any length of time should never be kenneled, locked in a single room, or otherwise cooped up. I truly hope you all can get handle on that dog theft situation so more dogs can have dog doors and access to backyards again.

The realities of today's working families is that dogs are going to be home alone more than they used to be. Because I think it is so good for children to grow up with pets, solutions can be found. Dog walking, multiple pets, and twenty year sentence for dognappers (fifty for those stealing them for dog fighting) is a good place to start. I'd really like public floggings for the latter, but I don't get to make the laws.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
This should come as welcome news to pet owners and animal lovers...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...ers-court-case

There are some real sickos out there. Laws and sentences are tightening up, but the public needs to continue to put pressure on the justice system to put more fear in the brain-stem thinkers.

I am supporting our local prosecuting attorney in her run for state representative because she has made a point of demanding maximum sentences for all neglect and abuse cases that end up on the court docket. She also never pleas out abuse cases. That is the kind of ethics I want to see more of.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I think that is cheap, he turned up in a large transit van, with fitted dog cages in the back, there is no advertisement on the van.

Regarding the other neighbours, no I haven’t told them about their dogs barking, I would not get personally involved, there are channels to go through.

I did phone the council a few years ago, they sent me a form to fill in ,as the time the dogs were barking and how long for, they then seemed to stop barking so often,I didn’t bother filling it in.

Even though you say the area you live in isn’t as affluent as mine, you still don’t know if they get someone in to walk their dog ,or do you? some neighbours walk dogs for free,i was one such neighbour, this is going back around 6 yrs ago now.

Dogs can be left alone for 4 hours, they shouldn’t be left any longer, according to the RSPCA, but many are, maybe someone reported my neighbour,for leaving her dogs all day, hence the guy taking them out yesterday?

My question is, how can you prove that a neighbour leaves their dog home alone for over eight hours?
Answer to last question ,the neighbour told me .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 10:45 PM

It's nothing new for people to leave their dog in the house when they are out. A neighbour used to leave her dog in the well ventilated spacious front room. He used to sit and look out of the window waiting for her to come home from her teaching job. She had a daughter who would also be at school. I know she loved that dog. This was well over 20 years ago and her dog was well cared for and looked after.

The whole concept of having a dog is human centric. It doesn't matter how much you care and look after the dog, it is there ultimately for your pleasure.

Even the most well meaning humans don't realise you can kill with kindness. As in feeding birds bread or giving a cat cream.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
As counterintuitive as it sounds, one of the best solutions for working families is to own two dogs. That way they always have company.
Only if they get along. Animal politics are just as interesting as human politics.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

30-04-2021, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Only if they get along. Animal politics are just as interesting as human politics.
Ha, that's true. Don't want to leave them alone until they work through those issues, though the triggers are usually food and their people. In fact, I don't recall our dogs ever getting into it when we were away.

We've had a couple of young ladies in this house who had to work it out, Annie. Thankfully, those issues were always resolved.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2021, 07:56 AM

I worked full time all of my working life, so felt it would be cruel to to leave a dog alone, in the house, for 5 days a week... so I got a kitten.
When she got old enough I had a cat flap fitted, but my husband, who worked near to our home, went home most days to check if she needed anything.
Why do people get pets, which are a responsibility, if they can't give them the care they need?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2021, 09:11 AM

How many people would think it acceptable to leave a 3 year old child alone all day without access to the ability to relive themselves, mental stimulation and food.

Having a dog is like having a small child and they should be given the same attention and consideration.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2021, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I worked full time all of my working life, so felt it would be cruel to to leave a dog alone, in the house, for 5 days a week... so I got a kitten.
When she got old enough I had a cat flap fitted, but my husband, who worked near to our home, went home most days to check if she needed anything.
Why do people get pets, which are a responsibility, if they can't give them the care they need?
That was my thinking too...I've always had cats because they fit in with my lifestyle or should I say I fit in with theirs.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2021, 09:42 AM

Hi

There are things that can be done.

I also do not live in an affluent area, people share dog walking duties, help each other out.

The littlies love taking dogs for a walk.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top