Join for free
Page 25 of 57 « First < 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 12:33 AM

Re: Coronavirus: Third wave will 'wash up on our shores', warns Johnson

Hospital waiting list tops 5,000,000 in England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57419504

NHS England data showed 5,120,000 people had been waiting for hospital treatment at the end of April.

But the number facing waits of over a year has dropped for the first time since the pandemic began. More than 385,000 patients were waiting that long, down by 50,000 on the previous month. Before the pandemic, however, just 1,600 people were in this position.

Meanwhile, an analysis by consultancy Lane, Clark and Peacock found huge differences in the numbers waiting over a year across different areas. Castle Point and Rochford, in Essex, had the highest proportion of people waiting over 52 weeks for care - 573 per 100,000, at the end of March - whereas in south-west London there were just 24.

The age of local populations will be a factor in this - those areas with some of the highest rates tended to have the oldest population, while those with the lowest rates had the youngest, who are less likely to need hospital treatment.

But Jonathan Pearson-Stuttard, who led the research, said the finding were still "extremely worrying".

"We know that for many of these conditions longer waiting times are associated with poorer long-term outcomes," he said. "Without urgent action targeting areas with the highest unmet need, we risk a generation of patients living in poorer health."
Just one of the 'hidden costs' of the pandemic .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Hospital waiting list tops 5,000,000 in England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57419504

"NHS England data showed 5,120,000 people had been waiting for hospital treatment at the end of April."

Just one of the 'hidden costs' of the pandemic .....

I'm waiting for a follow-up appt. at the eye hospital.
Fortunately, not at all serious. It's just that I'm on eye drops to reduce raised IOP which, I have already been told, may not be necessary. Hopefully, they're not doing any harm!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 11:36 AM

Lockdown 4 is imminent, I'm sure. The so-called freedom day is already being delayed by 4 weeks, I think.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 01:16 PM

Unvaccinated most at risk from Delta variant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57441677

Nearly two-thirds of people infected with the Delta variant, and more than half of those who have died with it, have not had a Covid vaccine at all, the latest official data suggests.

There have been nearly 30,000 new UK cases of the variant in the past week. The Public Health England report says it is likely to spread more easily and could make people more seriously ill.

The Delta variant, which was first identified in India, is now the dominant variant in the UK - accounting for 90% of cases. It is being closely monitored by PHE, who are using new genotyping tests to detect the variant more quickly as cases continue to rise. These suggest that the Delta variant is roughly 60% more spreadable than the Alpha, or Kent, variant.

Analysis of hospitalisation rates suggests people infected by the Delta variant are twice as likely to end up in hospital than those with Alpha.

In the UK, more than half of all adults have now been fully vaccinated with a Covid vaccine and more than three-quarters have had one dose. But that means more than 10 million adults, mostly in their 20s, have yet to have a single dose.

Dr Jenny Harries, chief executive of the UK Health Security Agency, said "vaccination is our best defence". "If you are eligible, we urge you to come forward and be vaccinated. Remember that two doses provide significantly more protection than a single dose."

However, Dr Harries warned that while vaccination reduces the risk of severe disease, it does not eliminate it because Delta is "significantly more transmissible than Alpha".
"It ain't over till the fat lady sings." ..... and I ain't seen no fat lady, nor heard her neither .....
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Lockdown 4 is imminent, I'm sure. The so-called freedom day is already being delayed by 4 weeks, I think.
I'm sure you're right Pixie...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Unvaccinated most at risk from Delta variant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57441677

"It ain't over till the fat lady sings." ..... and I ain't seen no fat lady, nor heard her neither .....
Alpha variant = Kent variant
Beta variant = ?
Gamma variant = ?
Delta variant = Indian variant

So what are the Beta and Gamma variants?
Something even more PC than the Delta variant?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

11-06-2021, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Alpha variant = Kent variant
Beta variant = ?
Gamma variant = ?
Delta variant = Indian variant

So what are the Beta and Gamma variants?
Something even more PC than the Delta variant?
What are the Covid-19 variants and how do Alpha, Beta and Delta differ?

https://www.thenationalnews.com/uae/...ffer-1.1236702

Also reviewed:

Epsilon, Zeta, Eta, Theta, Iota and Kappa .....

If we reach Omega then we're doomed .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

11-06-2021, 05:42 PM

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

A further 8,125 confirmed cases in the UK were announced by the government on Friday.

That figure takes us back to 24th February .....

There are now 1,058 cases in hospital.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

12-06-2021, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Originally Posted by paula ->
I'm sure you're right Pixie...
Indeed ...... it looks like you're right, Pixie .....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57447632

The government is considering delaying the lifting of England's remaining Covid restrictions by up to four weeks, sources have told the BBC.
It comes amid growing concern over rapidly increasing cases and the higher transmissibility of the Delta variant.

Downing Street sources emphasised that no final decision has been made yet.

Pushing the date back would allow the vaccination programme to take greater effect, as the rollout moves through to younger age groups.

The Delta variant first identified in India now accounts for nine in 10 coronavirus cases in the UK. It is roughly 60% more transmissible than the Alpha - or Kent - variant, Public Health England data suggests. The analysis also found people infected by the Delta variant are twice as likely to end up in hospital than those with Alpha.

BMA council chairman Dr Chaand Nagpaul said: "It's not just about the number of hospitalisations, but also the risk to the health of large numbers of younger people, who can suffer long-term symptoms."
Better safe than sorry .....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 07:44 AM

I's be happy wearing a mask and keeping my distance, if it meant we could wander about as we like. Restrictions on travel are mostly lifted up here, but its me...I'm just not confident yet to go very far, even though I hear the beach calling

Page 25 of 57 « First < 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top