Join for free
Page 31 of 33 « First < 21 29 30 31 32 33 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 12:54 PM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Delivery text scams and how to deal with them

"If you have a habit of ordering stuff online, you're probably no stranger to a "your parcel has been delivered" text.

That's why they're a good way for scammers to hook unsuspecting people in.

Three in five of us have had fake delivery company texts over the past year, according to new figures from consumer group, Which?.

The messages often contain a link that brings you to a scam website."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57654967
Very useful.
I didn't know about the 7726 (spam) system!
I assume that all network operators use the same system.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Very useful.
I didn't know about the 7726 (spam) system!
[B]I assume that all network operators use the same system.[/B
Just checked that out and it seems all* the mobile providers can be reached on that number.
Despite whatever provider you are with notifications will be noted so that scam numbers being
used can be taken out.

*Except Vodaphone it seems from the information on the second link which states
"Those with Vodafone should send junk texts to 87726."

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...s-axsG54B0mH0H

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...ight-back.html
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Just checked that out and it seems all* the mobile providers can be reached on that number.
Despite whatever provider you are with notifications will be noted so that scam numbers being
used can be taken out.

*Except Vodaphone it seems from the information on the second link which states
"Those with Vodafone should send junk texts to 87726."

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...s-axsG54B0mH0H

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...ight-back.html
This is really useful Baz. Thanks and will deffo use it from now on.

Strange that it's not well publicised. After all, there are a fair few TV programs about scams and spams, and none of these have (to my knowledge) highlighted 7726.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
This is really useful Baz. Thanks and will deffo use it from now on.

Strange that it's not well publicised. After all, there are a fair few TV programs about scams and spams, and none of these have (to my knowledge) highlighted 7726.
That number was given out on the 'Morning Live' programme on BBC1 the other day, it was Rav Wilding (ex-police) who gave it out. Until then I had never heard of it either. Then on seeing a news item about it I thought it might be useful to post on here so that others are aware of it.

There is so much of this scamming happening that it's getting overwhelming. I know that I was getting so many telephone calls that the only answer (excuse pun) to this was never to answer the landline immediately, but to use the answering machine. Now I have given the landline over to the scammers, they can have it and chat to my answering machine, I use my mobile only for calls. That now has also started receiving both scam calls and texts, they are instantly blocked as that's easier on a mobile.

Why do we have to put up with this daily interference in our lives, surely someone must be able to do something to put a stop to it?

Note: Edited to correct TV programme title.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 09:17 AM

What do you make of this then?

and this is the entire message, no logo, nothing to click on except at the bottom: Unsubscribe ... etc

1 You can meet with anyone in a 1:1 call and speak up to 24 hours for free. For a group call (more than two people), you can meet with up to 100 participants and call up to 60 mins for free. We are waiving these limits in light of COVID-19 so that you can meet with up to 300 participants and speak up to 24 hours for free until further specified.

Unsubscribe | Privacy Statement | View as webpage

Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
Baz46

01-07-2021, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
What do you make of this then?

and this is the entire message, no logo, nothing to click on except at the bottom: Unsubscribe ... etc
Personally I would be very wary, any or all of those three links at the bottom could be a link that takes you further on and perhaps into a scam situation.

Meet up in a 1:1 call FREE for up to 24 hours – too good to be true perhaps?

Why would an organisation like Microsoft enter into something like this without publicising it more widely? No logo either, very dodgy I reckon.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 05:33 PM

Yeet another scam to be aware of.
Again from my fraud alert people:

" Just 15% of people have heard of a ‘ghost broker’.* Do you know what one is?

Have you ever heard of a ‘ghost broker’? No, we are not talking about things that go bump in the night – this is a lot scarier.
‘Ghost brokers’ are fraudsters who sell fake or invalid car insurance policies. Victims are sold fake insurance documents for a policy that does not exist, or for a genuine policy that has been set up using false details to lower the price of the premium.

How do ‘ghost brokers’ operate?
Fraudsters lure victims in with the offer of cheaper insurance premiums, usually via social media or by word-of-mouth. These individuals or groups pose as middlemen for well-known insurance companies, claiming they can offer you legitimate car insurance at a significantly cheaper price.

This type of fraud is typically carried out either by forging insurance documents, falsifying your details to bring the price down, or by taking out a genuine policy for you but cancelling it soon after.

Often, the victim is not aware that they have been scammed until they are involved in an accident and try to claim on the policy."
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 09:23 AM

Something new, automated message to my mobile about fraudulent use of my NI number, of course I hung up.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 01:34 PM

I have just had a call from "Sky" (I'm not with Sky) about my broadband connection and the person wanted to know when I had last checked my Internet speeds. When I said I wasn't with Sky, they suddenly changed company to Virgin Media. I said I wasn't with them either, so they went with BT....Anyway, upshot is they wanted to check cookies and error files remotely on my computer to see which ones were causing "problems" with my connection. I just hung up. They didn't call me by name, just "Ma'am".
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 10:23 AM

I've just had a call from a very nice (Indian sounding) man from 'Virgin Media', who wanted to warn me that my internet connection is suffering from a fault.
He went through the usual procedure: Are you on the computer? Are you connected to Virgin Media? etc, etc.
The next step was for me to press the Windows key and R.

However, before that I told him that I need to ask him a security question, and asked him to tell me my Virgin account number.
Oh, sorry sir, our systems have changed and in order to do that I need your Virgin registration number.
OK.
To do that, sir, I must ask you to press the Windows key and R.
So I told him that I know my registration number and asked him to tell it to me.
Surprisingly, he reeled off an alphanumeric number, of which I have no idea whether correct or not, but I responded that "no, that number is incorrect".

That was about it and he decided to give it up, but not before calling me
a f***ing c***.
Quite a good English response, I thought, for an Indian chap.

Page 31 of 33 « First < 21 29 30 31 32 33 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top