Join for free
Page 30 of 40 « First < 20 28 29 30 31 32 > Last »
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 10:32 PM

Re: Fire engulfs Grenfell tower block in west London

100,000 per year ?

times 5 years

500,000 homes ?

At least the man recognises the need...........he may be over enthusiastic.
Think of all the jobs that would create..........even if he fails by 75,000 per year.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
100,000 per year ?

times 5 years

500,000 homes ?

At least the man recognises the need...........he may be over enthusiastic.
Think of all the jobs that would create..........even if he fails by 75,000 per year.
Oh, yep . Well that seem grossly over estimated anyway . He must be thinking high rise flats unless he's about to take great swathes of green belt. The more I think about his policies the more I think about the idea of Kibbutz. Great for the peasant society.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 10:50 PM

On the news a resident held a letter from the local council
delivered by hand concerning dogs, you can understand the anger.

Clearly, the authorities need to get a grip and deal with this tragedy or risk civil unrest.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 11:16 PM

Anger, worry. and pain.

Just been thinking about what might happen in the case of family members who have died , and may have left debts. Do families have to repay any debts on their behalf, or do the debts just get written off.

In a normal course of death, the debt would be repaid but this is very different.

There is also the dreadful fact that many may have been visitors due to Ramadan, of whom there may not be any trace, as being residents from elsewhere. There might well be even more unsolvable problems to overcome .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 11:25 PM

Just watching the news on this. It's shocking and awful how people are still suffering so much and that there seems to be nobody talking to them about their concerns and helping them come to terms with what's happened. It seems this will end in a repeat of the riots of a few years ago. These are some of the most deprived of London's population in an area where they share streets with the most wealthy people in the World. Despite the huge outpourings of help from the community these people seem abandoned and lost.

Theresa May has survived the debacle of the election, but I don't think she will survive this. How can she go and negotiate brexit with this going on in her capital city?
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 11:46 PM

The tragedy in the fire engulfed with the dreadful loss of life in High Rise London Flats,could have been avoided with the right kind of Fire Proof building materials and possibly regular Fire drills and
Some outside Fire Escapes as well.

It is foolish in the extreme to cut back on essential services such as Housing, Disability services, and the NHS.
There are many other ways of saving money such as cutting the massive Foreign Aid budget.
The Countries in receipt of this Aid would be very well of even if it was cut by half.
The Civil Servants and MP’s who make these rules all live in mansions and get large salaries with all expenses paid.
They simply have no idea what it is to live on low incomes and go hungry to feed children or pay heating bills.

Foreign multi-millionaire business should be made to pay the right amount of tax like we all do,
and they should not be able to Register their Companies abroad and so they can pay themselves and their wives £millions of Dividends all tax free.
And MP’s get increased salaries while others don’t.

In France and Italy, and other Continental Countries Rented Apartments are usually in l blocks of three or four high and all have Dish Washers Fridges and Washing Machines Dryers as standard, all well appointed
Instead of building Estates of Detached houses why not build two story high apartments to ease the Housing shortage.
We no longer think like ’The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist, and doff our caps the better off and say” Thank you for a crust”
Those days are well and truly gone.
Hand wringing and gnashing of teeth is not going to help bereaved families.

The Government and Local Councils have tons of empty properties they could convert for the homeless as well.
Now is not the time to make further cut-backs
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

16-06-2017, 11:51 PM

Yes, and this....

https://fullfact.org/news/labours-so...ousing-record/

The official data shows that the Blair and Brown governments built 7,870 council houses (local authority tenure) over the course of 13 years. (If we don't include 2010 - the year when David Cameron became PM - this number drops to 6,510.) Mr Copley has contrasted this figure with the record of Mrs Thatcher's government, which never built fewer than 17,710 homes in a year.

Between 1997 and 2010, of the 2.61 million homes constructed, only 0.3% were local authority tenure. Mrs Thatcher's government supervised the building of a similar number of houses (2.63 million), but 18.9% were LA or 'council' properties.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

17-06-2017, 12:04 AM

@ Bruv. What we keep on failing to realise is the number of workers from abroad arriving here. Take 3-4 million and that is a lot of housing needed. This increase has only come about since approx. 2004, so despite the initial availability, we couldn't keep up with demand, and I imagine that demand rapidly outnumbered supply. Of which ,we were then faced with the crash, followed by austerity, and although I favour one party against another, I do believe that certain situations have exacerbated this lack of affordable homes or social housing beyond the realms of delivering what is actually needed, by any of the Governments.. I will put a lot of the blame at Mr Blair's front door, as he seemed to think that it was ok for everyone to live 10 to a house. I think Gordon Brown had a far more compassionate attitude, but he was destroyed too. (in many ways) before he managed to accomplish anything worth while , apart from selling the gold off at the cheapest possible price !.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
@ Bruv. What we keep on failing to realise is the number of workers from abroad arriving here. Take 3-4 million and that is a lot of housing needed. This increase has only come about since approx. 2004, so despite the initial availability, we couldn't keep up with demand, and I imagine that demand rapidly outnumbered supply. Of which ,we were then faced with the crash, followed by austerity, and although I favour one party against another, I do believe that certain situations have exacerbated this lack of affordable homes or social housing beyond the realms of delivering what is actually needed, by any of the Governments.. I will put a lot of the blame at Mr Blair's front door, as he seemed to think that it was ok for everyone to live 10 to a house. I think Gordon Brown had a far more compassionate attitude, but he was destroyed too. (in many ways) before he managed to accomplish anything worth while , apart from selling the gold off at the cheapest possible price !.
Thats funny cos I put it squarely in the hands of the milk snatcher.
She flattered us all by letting us believe we could......as the old adage says.......buy our own castle.(An Englishmans home etc. etc.)
Many of us could and did and were happy ever after......some of us became victims of sub prime or something......bankers shuffling our money for their own profit.....whatever they say.
Then the whole world caught a cold......even Iceland....and thats cold.
The point is.......far far too much housing fell into private hands.....NOT for living in......but as an investment.

What happens when too many get into the same row boat ?

Now move on a few years.........free European movement arrives.....big time.

Now.....we still have the muppet factor.....those amongst us that NEED support....an economic rented home.....that somebody else will maintain.....council housing...now called social housing..
Add to that lots of 'open border' Europeans arriving for work.....and here we are...........Not enough available suitable housing stock.

Add austerity to the mix..........always remember austerity.

Page 30 of 40 « First < 20 28 29 30 31 32 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top