Join for free
Page 38 of 40 « First < 28 36 37 38 39 40 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 01:00 PM

Re: Fire engulfs Grenfell tower block in west London

There is a disturbing mention in the paper today , the fire started in the kichen of the taxi driver who warned his neighbours but they say he already had his bags packed .
If this is true why didn't he call the fire brigade immediately why were his bags packed ?
however the main reason people died was that they obeyed the official advice to stay put .
Those who ignored it got out .
Sometimes ones basic instincts are best.

IMO There should always be two escape routes in high rise buildings , Surely some innovative procedures slides or even firemen like poles could be installed.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 01:03 PM

I read that his fridge caught fire and he warned his neighbours, who survived as a result.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 01:03 PM

Yes. Things are improving for Tenants as these days everyone wants a better standard of living and will not put up with rubbish.

Sadly as we see in the News and on TV some Tenants do not take care of property and trash the place, probably drug and alcohol fueled
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
There is a disturbing mention in the paper today , the fire started in the kichen of the taxi driver who warned his neighbours but they say he already had his bags packed .
If this is true why didn't he call the fire brigade immediately why were his bags packed ?
however the main reason people died was that they obeyed the official advice to stay put .

IMO There should always be two escape routes in high rise buildings , Surely some innovative procedures slides or even firemen like poles could be installed.
Would just love to try going down 20 odd stories on a fireman's pole!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 01:11 PM

At the same time as this happens, countless new high rise blocks are going up in London.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Would just love to try going down 20 odd stories on a fireman's pole!

You have to use your brain on this one Purrs I know it's difficult for you .
The poles would be staggered from floor to floor not one long continuous pole .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

That is disturbing Muddy. He did bang on the doors of immediate neighbours and they escaped, but he didn't wait till they opened their doors... one of them said that to a reporter.
I have been thinking of how infrequently a fridge blowing up can happen? I would not be surprised if the experts discovered that it wasn't the fridge that exploded... maybe something left inside the fridge?
Since this fire started I have had a little niggling doubt that it may not have been accidental. I hope I am wrong!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mario ->
The government could compulsory purchase all the investment housing stock that lies empty in that part of London. Pay the market value plus fees with an offer for first refusal when the property is no longer needed. As soon as forensics has finished knock down the tower and build a state of the the art new and bigger one for all the former residents to move into with no rent increase. Offer the compulsory purchased properties back to the original owners at cost less an allowance for refurbishment. Should they not want or be able to buy the properties back the government could sell them on the open market at a profit.
Yes it will cost a fortune but is there a fair and appropriate alternative for rehousing the victims.

Central Government already owns 350 billion's worth of land and property in the UK
This is enough to house all the homeless here

May old Prisons and World War 11 Barracks are still empty and could be converted to living accommodation.

The Government should prioritize this need instead of falling over backwards to give £billions to Foreign Aid much of it abused by rich people and Dictators

Many Builders would be quite happy to convert empty property and this would also bring employment to many people as well.
There are cut backs on essential services but not on MP's Salaries or Millionaire Directors dividends.

That's equality for you.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 01:30 PM

they could include an escape chute from high rise....but this would be open to abuse by some idiots seeking a thrill.

Possibly it could be behind an automatic door locking/unlocking system?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-06-2017, 01:34 PM

Yes Tpin thats what i meant when i said slides .
Some places such as the Amazon office and Volkswagon have tried these out.
Converting prisons is a good idea as lone as they are in the right area I doubt there are many handy in Kensington where the community demands to be rehoused asap.

Page 38 of 40 « First < 28 36 37 38 39 40 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top