Join for free
Page 5 of 40 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 02:22 PM

Re: Fire engulfs Grenfell tower block in west London

As usual, I've been listening to LBC on and off all day.

Apparently, when the building was revamped, inferior materials were used ... cost-cutting.

There was also talk of special fire-retardent paint that could have been used on the cladding.

Too expensive!
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I must admit that I thought it could have been a terrorist attack and London has been targeted a lot recently but, the man whose flat it happened in, knocked on all his neighbours doors to warn them.
I watched it on TV this morning and thought, the survivors were still in shock and shouldn't be interviewed, but then it seemed many wanted to talk. How awful it must have been for them to know that they had survived, but many of their friends and neighbours probably hadn't.
It could easily be a nutter making homemade bombs or explosive devices. Who knows?
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote from Telegraph online

What caused it?

The cause of the fire is so far unknown, but residents had previously raised concerns that a 'catastrophic' event could happen. An action group of Grenfell residents said their warnings fell on "deaf ears" after highlighting safety concerns about the block.

The group said there was one entry and exit to Grenfell Tower during improvement works at the block in Latimer Road and it had issues with evacuation procedures at the building.

Following the fire, the group posted: "All our warnings fell on deaf ears and we predicted that a catastrophe like this was inevitable and just a matter of time."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...l-tower-blaze/
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 03:43 PM

Hi

Speculation does no good at all.

Corbyn is demanding answers in the House of Commons tomorrow.

It requires a full forensic examination of the building, the materials used, the number and type of fire doors, sealing of service ducts between floors etc etc

The Fire Service are still combing the building for bodies, a difficult, time consuming task.

It will be months before we know exactly how the fire started, why it spread so quickly, what, if any, substandard materials or maintenance procedures there were.

There will be interim reports of course, but nothing detailed.

It is quite possible that a fridge was the cause.

Was it a design fault?

Faulty wiring in the lead to the socket?

Faulty mains wiring?

These things take time.

It could result in prosecutions, these could be for Corporate Manslaughter.

It is my view that we let things take their course, get it right and then make sure it does not happen again.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 03:54 PM

Personally, I have never heard of a Fridge exploding, I didn't know it was possible but If you Google it there are loads of examples. Scary.
matchpoint
London
matchpoint is male 

14-06-2017, 03:56 PM

probably a kitchen fire started it.

Am just glad I don't live in one of those blocks.
What a way to go... Hanging out the window on the 15th floor knowing you have to jump for it. sht happens!!

And by kitchen fire I mean, late night cooking ( im my experience it was a "sausage sandwich").
came home drunk, put the sausages on a slow heat and went straight to bed. I eventually woke to the sound of my smoke alarm going off, I turned off the smoke alarm and went directly back to bed. Few more minutes went by then I realised "that was the smoke alarm". Kitchen full of smoke. Sausages were totally . Frying pan was still alive, but the Firemen always say... Smoke alarms save lives.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

14-06-2017, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by matchpoint ->

What a way to go... Hanging out the window on the 15th floor knowing you have to jump for it. sht happens!!

And by kitchen fire I mean, late night cooking ( im my experience it was a "sausage sandwich").
came home drunk, put the sausages on a slow heat and went straight to bed. I eventually woke to the sound of my smoke alarm going off, I turned off the smoke alarm and went directly back to bed. Few more minutes went by then I realised "that was the smoke alarm". Kitchen full of smoke. Sausages were totally . Frying pan was still alive, but the Firemen always say... Smoke alarms save lives.

A guy interviewed on TV said his neighbour's fridge exploded
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 04:10 PM

I also heard that one man could not be rescued by neighbours because he was disabled and unable to walk. He lived on the 23rd floor.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by matchpoint ->

My hubby did that once. We all went to bed, he stayed up to watch a film. He put some eggs on to hard boil and fell asleep and forgot them. The smoke alarm woke me up but not him! I ran down and the pan had boiled dry and the eggs exploded and the hob was glowing bright red. The pan was red hot and burnt out.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

14-06-2017, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
My hubby did that once. We all went to bed, he stayed up to watch a film. He put some eggs on to hard boil and fell asleep and forgot them. The smoke alarm woke me up but not him! I ran down and the pan had boiled dry and the eggs exploded and the hob was glowing bright red. The pan was red hot and burnt out.
Easily done.

Page 5 of 40 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top