Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 07:22 AM

New Glasses.

Hi

I had my eyes tested at Specsavers so I can drive again.

The prescription has changed, I have a a varifocal in my left eye and the right is just a balance, no prescription until hopefully they do surgery on it.

Both lenses are Reactolite rapids, anti glare,with other filters.

I got them online, Specsavers are stupid prices.

The difference is amazing, on the laptop and TV but I am having trouble adjusting when walking.

Anyone else found it difficult to adjust to new glasses?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 07:29 AM

Re: New Glasses.

I never could get on with varifocals Swimmy, so I have different specs for reading and driving but luckily don't need them other than that anyway.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 08:16 AM

I couldn't get on with varifocals either. I had my eyes tested at Specsavers the other week. I needed new distance glasses of which I bought three pairs, my reading specs of which I have two pairs were ok.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 08:38 AM

Hi Swimmy I understand it takes weeks to get used to varifocals , I gave them a month then took them back before I fell downstairs and did myself a mischief.

I was told by the excellent optician that I now use that the quality of varifocal lenses differs greatly and if you have them to go for the best you can afford. He wasn't trying to sell me any either having ascertained I was one of the people they didn't suit.

I am long sighted so get by with reading glasses and am on the verge of needing some to drive but still within the legal limit.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 08:51 AM

Hi

Thanks for that, thought it was just me.

Although I did get them online, they are the highest specification available.

I will just have to persevere.

They are so much better for night driving, I tried them in the dark early today and did not get dazzled at all by oncoming lights.

Stairs are a nightmare though.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Thanks for that, thought it was just me.

Although I did get them online, they are the highest specification available.

I will just have to persevere.

They are so much better for night driving, I tried them in the dark early today and did not get dazzled at all by oncoming lights.

Stairs are a nightmare though.
If you are eyes are that bad should you still be driving?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 09:05 AM

Persevere with the varifocals swims it took me a while to get used to mine but I love them now and no messing about with different pairs and losing them stick with it it's worth it.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 09:13 AM

We call them progressive lenses here.
As said, they do take time to get used to.
I had the woozies for a while when I first got mine.
And yes, stairs can be a problem!
From somebody that knows, don't do stairs until you're used to them! Owies could be involved!
One thing I found helped was to wear them as close to your face as possible - so push those babies high up on the bridge of your nose, and in!
If they're not fitted properly, it can cause problems - so if you're still not comfortable wearing them after a while, you might want to have that checked out. My frames had to be adjusted, and that did the trick.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

31-03-2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
If you are eyes are that bad should you still be driving?
Hi

I find your post very offensive indeed.

I have already stated that I have passed the Eye Test to be able to drive.

I am perfectly legal to drive.

Until 3 years ago, when|I took VR ,I was an advanced high speed driver, with an annual test.

Although I am now out of practice at it, my eyesight is still good enough, with my new glasses, to meet the requirements for that.

My reaction times are still good, far better than most.

The peripheral vision in my right eye is excellent, I can detect movement,which is all that is needed.

I will give you a run for your money anytime you want.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 09:39 AM

I’ve worn varifocals for years and I managed them right from the start thanks to the advice I was given by my optometrist which was, you must move your head to the direction you are looking, not just move your eyes. By doing that from the start you adjust to varifocals much faster.
I always have full lens varifocals now which are more expensive but give you better vision.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top