Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 05:00 AM

Woman stopped at Turkish border

A woman with ISIS links has been arrested by Turkish authorities at the Syrian border together with her two young children. She had duel passports as she was born in NZ but had lived in Australia since the age of 6. She has no family connections in NZ only in Australia. The Aussie PM has cancelled her citizenship and passport leaving her only recourse to try to return to NZ. This seems unkind to the two young children who had no say in where they were born, but have extended family in Australia. Jacinda is not pleased!
https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...?ocid=msedgdhp
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 06:32 AM

Re: Woman stopped at Turkish border

The woman needs a Turkish attorney. The best NZ and AU can do is advise her how to get one.

The AU embassy should be working on obtaining Turkish visas to allow two family members from AU to fly to Turkey to get those kids out of there.

AU and NZ are both at fault for permitting dual citizenship, so blaming each other comes across as childish finger-pointing. If Australia had a trial - even if only in absentia - and found the woman guilty of treason, then they had every right to rescind her citizenship. NZ could have done likewise.

If not, then neither country has a leg to stand on. Allow her to return to AU, try her and THEN boot her out if she is found guilty. She can either go to NZ to face trial (or not if they choose not to try her) or she can emigrate to Syria.

If found guilty in absentia in AU, then she has the right to appeal. If innocent, she stays in AU (and watched like a hawk). If still found guilty, ship her back to Syria where she can live out her days in a Syrian refugee camp. A lot of good people are living in those camps who didn't get the choice of leaving their peaceful nation and comfortable home to support some extremist ideology half way around the world.

If neither AU or NZ chooses to charge her (fat chance), then she should be able to return to the country of her choice. If I was the prime minister of either country, and thought her to be tied to ISIS, I'd be helping her get a Turkish attorney with one hand and drafting treason charges with the other.

I know these women are sometimes drug around by their hijabs by their extremist husbands, but I don't have much patience for one living in AUSTRALIA where there were many opportunities for her to get help if she didn't want to go to Syria.

Either way, this case should incline both nations to revisit their citizenship policies.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 07:46 AM

most people are not sympathetic to the woman who made a stupid choice, but for the children. They have extended family in Australia but no one in NZ.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 09:23 AM

A Melbourne woman who had her Australian citizenship cancelled last year is at the centre of a political spat between Australia and New Zealand, after NZ Prime Minister the lovely Jacinda Ardern accused Australian PM, Scotty from Marketing of an "abrogation of responsibility" over her case.

The woman at the centre of the feud is 25-year-old Melburnian Suhayra Aden, who until last year was a dual citizen of Australia and New Zealand.

Ms Aden travelled to Syria from Australia in 2014 to live under Islamic State.

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 09:31 AM

Which country was she a citizen of first ?
Personally I am with SM on this I don’t think these people should ever be allowed back into the country they left to join IS
The fathers of the children (who are both dead) were Swedish maybe she could try there .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Which country was she a citizen of first ?
Personally I am with SM on this I don’t think these people should ever be allowed back into the country they left to join IS .
She was born in NZ but had lived in Australia since a child. She has no connection with anyone in NZ at all (as I understand it)

Australia also deports foreign permanent residents who spends more than a year in gaol, they are deported as soon as they leave prison.

A few years back a man was deported to a country in eastern Europe. He had arrived in Australia as a baby and only spoke English - a newspaper followed up his case and found him living on the street in Europe.

Read somewhere that nearly 5000 criminals have been deported - mostly to NZ as it happens, it is a definite cause of friction with New Zealand.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

16-02-2021, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
The woman needs a Turkish attorney. The best NZ and AU can do is advise her how to get one.

The AU embassy should be working on obtaining Turkish visas to allow two family members from AU to fly to Turkey to get those kids out of there.

AU and NZ are both at fault for permitting dual citizenship, so blaming each other comes across as childish finger-pointing. If Australia had a trial - even if only in absentia - and found the woman guilty of treason, then they had every right to rescind her citizenship. NZ could have done likewise.

If not, then neither country has a leg to stand on. Allow her to return to AU, try her and THEN boot her out if she is found guilty. She can either go to NZ to face trial (or not if they choose not to try her) or she can emigrate to Syria.

If found guilty in absentia in AU, then she has the right to appeal. If innocent, she stays in AU (and watched like a hawk). If still found guilty, ship her back to Syria where she can live out her days in a Syrian refugee camp. A lot of good people are living in those camps who didn't get the choice of leaving their peaceful nation and comfortable home to support some extremist ideology half way around the world.

If neither AU or NZ chooses to charge her (fat chance), then she should be able to return to the country of her choice. If I was the prime minister of either country, and thought her to be tied to ISIS, I'd be helping her get a Turkish attorney with one hand and drafting treason charges with the other.

I know these women are sometimes drug around by their hijabs by their extremist husbands, but I don't have much patience for one living in AUSTRALIA where there were many opportunities for her to get help if she didn't want to go to Syria.

Either way, this case should incline both nations to revisit their citizenship policies.
Australia is not blaming anyone, she was born in New Zealand she applied for and was granted Australian citizenship. The woman's Australian citizenship was cancelled last year in a policy that won't be changed under the Liberal Government.

Her citizenship was revoked under the Australian Citizenship Amendment (Allegiance to Australia) Act 2015 (Cth). Under this amendment act, the powers to cancel citizenship covered those who:

• have been found guilty of making a false or misleading statement in relating to their citizenship application;
  • have been convicted of an offence against either an Australian or foreign law; and
    vhave either been sentenced to death, or a term of imprisonment for 12 months or more;
  • have been convicted of a serious criminal offence and has been sentenced to at least 12 months’ imprisonment at any time prior to becoming a citizen;
  • have gained citizenship either through migration, or third party fraud; and/or
  • the Minister is satisfied that it would be contrary to the public interest if the person remains an Australian citizen.

If she was an Australian citizen she would have been charged under Counter-Terrorism Legislation Amendment (Foreign Fighters) Act 2014 if she had been allowed back into the country.

https://www.afp.gov.au/news-media/me...-fighter-links
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 01:49 PM

Send it to Syria. The legitimate Syrian government under Assad know exactly how to deal with such things.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 02:11 PM

The children will suffer however, if she is allowed back into society who is to say she will not whisper radical teachings to her children.
If she is seperated from them how can authorities be sure the children will not grow up with a chip on their shoulder and be prime targets for others to twist and radicalise..

If there is talk of giving someone a chance then there are much more deserving people than this women .. If she had not be born in NZ we wouldnt even be worrying about her children just as most people dont worry about all the others in Syria Yemen etc etc.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 02:12 PM

I feel that any woman who brings up her children to be terrorist is an unfit mother and should have her children taken from her.
No child is born a terrorist but they soon learn terrorist ways & become killers. I have no respect for any woman who is available to become a baby producing machine for terrorist and allows her children to be taught that, even if they are killed in their attempts to kill those who don't follow Islam, they will still reach the paradise that religion promises them.

I am sorry but all religions, who teach these ridiculous fairy stories. are trying to make them do what the religious leaders want and are not religions! They are control freaks that want the world to be run their way, and lets be fair, most religions have tried to do this!

Sadly Islamists believe what they are told & are doing a good job of achieving their aim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top