Join for free
Page 11 of 57 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 12:01 PM

Re: Coronavirus: Third wave will 'wash up on our shores', warns Johnson

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
If only they could get the airports sorted out and stop people from red and green zones mixing with each other. Might go a long way towards cutting down transmission.
Indeed ..... there's chaos at the airports:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tinations.html

Boris Johnson today warned against visiting 'amber list' countries on holiday amid growing confusion as the EU agreed to open its borders to fully vaccinated tourists and five million Britons booked European summer breaks with flights now down to £5. The PM has said Britons should not be heading to Europe, even if the EU would allow it, warning anyone flouting 10-day quarantine or testing that they will be punished heavily. Regardless, hundreds of Britons today flocked to airports for flights to amber list destinations, with several saying that they were unconcerned about breaking the rules because they had been vaccinated.

Ryanair sought to cash in on the boom, offering £5 flights to 'amber list' destinations such as Barcelona, Dublin, Corfu, Berlin and dozens more cities and resorts across Europe through June, when the EU is expected to open up to tourists. Easyjet are now offering flights to most destinations for between £25 and £30 next month, and has promised customers they can change their booking until just 24 hours before departure in case an amber destination turns green. Tui, the UK's biggest holiday company, has seen a surge in sales for 'amber' destinations in July and August. Most customers are booking breaks to Malaga in Spain, Ibiza and the Canaries or on Greek islands such as Rhodes, Crete and Kos.

Critics have pointed out that the UK's traffic light system is also adding to the confusion, because an amber light can mean stop or go, with people left 'baffled' by the PM's decision to legalise holidays from May 17 only to urge them to stay at home.

And Skills Minister Gillian Keegan has further fuelled travel chaos by stressing holidays to 'amber list' countries are not illegal and warnings from Mr Johnson are only 'guidance', insisting the government was trusting the public to be 'sensible'.

In a farrago of indecision, last night health minister Lord Bethell claimed travel anywhere abroad was 'dangerous' and foreign trips were 'not for this year', hours after Environment Secretary George Eustice suggested trips to 'amber' countries were acceptable if people wanted to see friends and family.
Confusion reigns .....
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

20-05-2021, 12:08 PM

This is curious....what do they know that we don't?
they don't - just running high on endorphins !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 12:12 PM

If only they could get the airports sorted out and stop people from red and green zones mixing with each other. Might go a long way towards cutting down transmission.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...list-countries
Sounds like typically poor organisation.
Both the airport authorities and the government for permitting entry from dangerous parts of the world.

We haven't had a really sensible PM since Maggie Thatcher. Everyone since have been poor amateurs.
bret
bret is male 

20-05-2021, 12:18 PM

much though I disliked her greatly I do have to agree!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Sounds like typically poor organisation.
Both the airport authorities and the government for permitting entry from dangerous parts of the world.

We haven't had a really sensible PM since Maggie Thatcher. Everyone since have been poor amateurs.
Interesting you mention her...I was chatting to Mr P the other day about how she would have managed this whole situation. I was never a fan, (a bit young anyway) but she got stuff done. No U turns for her

"This lady is not for turning"
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 12:25 PM

Test and Trace failure helped Indian variant spread, report says

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57186059

For three weeks in April and May, eight local authorities in England did not have access to the full data on positive tests in their area.

The number of missing cases was highest in Blackburn with Darwen, Lancashire.

A recent surge in infections there has been linked to the Indian variant.

The government said a "small number" of people in contact with those who tested positive for coronavirus had "experienced a temporary delay in getting a message from NHS Test and Trace".

The other areas affected by what is thought to have been a technical glitch were Blackpool, York, Bath and North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset, Southend-on-Sea and Thurrock.
Well, I can't blame "Incompetent" Harding for that .....

Nevertheless, the "glitch" is an unfortunate reminder of the inadequacies of the TNT system she "oversaw" .....
bret
bret is male 

20-05-2021, 01:57 PM

and we pay them so much money ' and trust them; and put our faith in them - why - we get it wrong each time!!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

20-05-2021, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
India variant: Matt Hancock's Covid claim fact-checked

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/57172793

In terms of the "truth" from BJ's government it seems that we're back where we were last year - it's hard to find when they're obfuscating, prevaricating and procrastinating .....
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...delay-24151051

Three days after Mr Hancock first referenced them in the Commons, the Department of Health has refused to provide a source for this data, or to say which dates it relates to.

Shadow Health Minister Justin Madders said:
"Matt Hancock continues to obscure the truth on the reasons for the delay putting India on the red list. Without publishing the real data, it appears that the only reasons for the delay was Boris Johnson’s planned visit to India. Matt Hancock has been as slippery as a bar of soap over the reasons why there was a delay but the truth is he has been trying to cover up and make excuses for what is now clearly a terrible and dangerous decision. "He has compounded that by misleading the house with dodgy data and should come clean."
Asked for clarification last night, the Department repeated the Health Secretary’s claim that “at the time of the decision to place Pakistan on the red list the test positivity rate for the country was 4.6% compared to a rate of 1.6% for India.”

But these figures are at odds with reported data from the time.

On April 1, the New Delhi Business Standard reported the daily positivity rate across India the previous day stood much higher, at 6.5%.
“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.” Mark Twain, 1835-1910

Matt Hancock is, patently, a bender of statistics .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 06:05 PM

Interesting you mention her...I was chatting to Mr P the other day about how she would have managed this whole situation. I was never a fan, (a bit young anyway) but she got stuff done. No U turns for her

"This lady is not for turning"
She wasn't perfect; nobody is, but as far as I'm concerned she was the best PM we have had since Winston Churchill and the best I have known over my lifetime.

Even better, she came from a working class family. Her dad was a shopkeeper and she never went to Eton nor was she in the Bullingdon Club!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
She wasn't perfect; nobody is, but as far as I'm concerned she was the best PM we have had since Winston Churchill and the best I have known over my lifetime.

Even better, she came from a working class family. Her dad was a shopkeeper and she never went to Eton nor was she in the Bullingdon Club!
I'll second that JB.....

Page 11 of 57 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top