Join for free
Page 51 of 57 « First < 41 49 50 51 52 53 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 06:27 PM

Re: Coronavirus: Third wave will 'wash up on our shores', warns Johnson

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thank God for the Vaccines is what I say.....
I am led to believe that BJ said much the same thing but with an expletive or two .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by omah ->
i am led to believe that bj said much the same thing but with an expletive or two .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 09:31 AM

My 15 year old niece in Derbyshire has Covid and is isolating in her room. She has a headache, temperature, sore throat and loss of smell. Many in her school have been sent home.

Her best friend has it, she is the daughter of the local publican who apparently tested positive on Saturday and opened for business on Sunday for the England football match

The villagers are very angry and there is talk of boycotting the pub by the many in the village who have tested positive.

The schools there break up on Wednesday and as some of the positive cases have transmitted sequentially, some people will have to miss their holiday because they will still be isolating .
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My 15 year old niece in Derbyshire has Covid and is isolating in her room. She has a headache, temperature, sore throat and loss of smell. Many in her school have been sent home.

Her best friend has it, she is the daughter of the local publican who apparently tested positive on Saturday and opened for business on Sunday for the England football match

The villagers are very angry and there is talk of boycotting the pub by the many in the village who have tested positive.

The schools there break up on Wednesday and as some of the positive cases have transmitted sequentially, some people will have to miss their holiday because they will still be isolating .
My sympathies to your niece .....

That is an appalling state of affairs due to the gross self-interest of the publican ..... !
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

18-07-2021, 04:21 PM

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

A further 48,161 confirmed cases in the UK were announced by the government on Sunday .....

That's 316,691 in the last 7 days .....

That's a daily fall but likely to be a temporary one:

It is going to be a "difficult summer" with Covid cases in the UK possibly reaching 200,000 a day, the scientist whose modelling led to the first nationwide restrictions has suggested.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57877033

Prof Neil Ferguson said there could be as many as 2,000 daily hospital admissions per day, which would cause "major disruption" to the NHS.

Prof Ferguson, who sits on the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show it was "almost certain" that the UK would reach 100,000 cases and 1,000 hospital admissions per day as almost all legal restrictions on social contact end in England and school holidays begin.

He said maintaining that level could be described as "success". "The real question is do we get to double that, or even higher?". He predicted a further 500,000 people could get long Covid.

Asked whether restrictions could be reintroduced, Prof Ferguson said there may be "a need to slow the spread to some extent" if hospital admissions were to reach 2,000 or 3,000 per day.

"It's going to be a difficult summer for many reasons... I think case numbers are likely to be declining at least by late September, even in the the worst-case scenario," he said.
Thank you, Professor Pessimistic .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

19-07-2021, 01:03 AM

Freedom Day farce as Boris Johnson urged to end ‘pingdemic’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...-endpingdemic/

Boris Johnson is under pressure to end the "mad" system of self-isolation as he and two other top ministers were forced into quarantine on "Freedom Day".

In the wake of the farce, ministers are urging Mr Johnson to ditch the requirement for fully-vaccinated people to self-isolate entirely, as the Government announced that frontline health and social care staff who have had both jabs can continue to work if they are "pinged" by the NHS app.

Monday was described as "Freedom Day" after the Prime Minister announced that it would spell the end of all legal Covid restrictions.

But it is set to be overshadowed by the "pingdemic", with hundreds of thousands of people, most of whom have been contacted through the NHS app, in self-isolation, causing chaos for businesses.
I believe that, in the US, this sort of situation is described as SNAFU .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

19-07-2021, 11:09 AM

Iceland and Greene King shut sites amid 'pingdemic'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57885175

Iceland and Greene King say they have had to shut shops and pubs due to staff shortages caused by people being forced to self-isolate by the NHS Covid app.

Iceland said that after keeping all of its stores open during lockdown, it has now had to shut some because 1,000 staff have been "pinged" by the app.

Chief executive Richard Walker said: "The great irony is that we're now all getting vaccinated."

Greene King has closed 33 pubs in the past week due to staff self-isolating.

Boss Nick Mackenzie said the pubs group had also had to shorten opening hours at some sites. He added that across the hospitality industry about one in five team members have been affected, "and therefore it is causing a real issue for us setting-up a business on a daily basis".
There'll be more .....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Freedom Day farce as Boris Johnson urged to end ‘pingdemic’

I believe that, in the US, this sort of situation is described as SNAFU .....
Can you tell me what on earth SNAFU means??
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

19-07-2021, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Can you tell me what on earth SANFU means??
Situation Normal - All Fouled* Up

* Bowdlerised

Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Situation Normal - All Fouled* Up

* Bowdlerised

Ahh I see thanks. (I edited my post because clearly I can't even spell in initials, haha! Blame the sunshine )

Page 51 of 57 « First < 41 49 50 51 52 53 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top