Join for free
Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 02:37 PM

Re: Some people seem not to care about their pet’s welfare .

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Before covid arrived animals were taken to be declawed etc often to France and especially Spain where vets are much more relaxed about such treatments.
Declawing is already banned in the following countries: England, Scotland, Wales, Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Slovenia, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand.

I don't know what date the above statement was written, but it seems that Spain & France may have been breaking the law!
I believe that all animals, that we choose to domesticate, should remain in their natural form, because they evolved like that so they could look after themselves.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 02:38 PM

Off topic,

One of our girls has deformed nails from having lived in a shelter for three years. For that reason and a diet that causes their nails to grow rapidly, I have to get their nails trimmed often.

Instead of clippers, the vet tech uses a Dremmel to grind the dogs nails - no pain no trauma. She did a great job of acclimating the dogs to the sound by giving them treats when the little grinder is turned on.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Off topic,

One of our girls has deformed nails from having lived in a shelter for three years. For that reason and a diet that causes their nails to grow rapidly, I have to get their nails trimmed often.

Instead of clippers, the vet tech uses a Dremmel to grind the dogs nails - no pain no trauma. She did a great job of acclimating the dogs to the sound by giving them treats when the little grinder is turned on.

I bought one of those little grinders ages ago Surfermom, but couldn't get on with it. Must be my lack of skill.
I got it because if claws were black, I couldn't see where the 'quick' was to cut.

I found you had to press the claw against the grinder quite hard and the dogs didn't seem to like the vibration of it. Perhaps I didn't persevere long enough.
Maybe I ought to rake it out the back of the cupboard and try again.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Declawing is already banned in the following countries: England, Scotland, Wales, Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Slovenia, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand.

I don't know what date the above statement was written, but it seems that Spain & France may have been breaking the law!
I believe that all animals, that we choose to domesticate, should remain in their natural form, because they evolved like that so they could look after themselves.

As I said in post 73 Twink, I know it was banned here in 2006.
However, I have read many cases of 'bent' overseas vets who will do anything if the price is right.

In one article I read, a vet openly admitted he made more money out of fiddling pet passport paperwork than he did from working legitimately in his practice!!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 02:57 PM

Of COURSE a number of vets were and no doubt still are! Increasingly people don't give a tinkers cuss for the law.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I bought one of those little grinders ages ago Surfermom, but couldn't get on with it. Must be my lack of skill.
I got it because if claws were black, I couldn't see where the 'quick' was to cut.

I found you had to press the claw against the grinder quite hard and the dogs didn't seem to like the vibration of it. Perhaps I didn't persevere long enough.
Maybe I ought to rake it out the back of the cupboard and try again.
Mups I like to think that I can do many things dog-related, but I decided long ago to leave this to the professionals. I am just too afraid to get near their quicks. It has also has to be performed with a specific diamond bit so it's done quickly.

What if you donated the trimmer to a vet in exchange for free trims?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 03:08 PM

Of COURSE a number of vets were and no doubt still are! Increasingly people don't give a tinkers cuss for the law.
Well if I knew who the lawbreakers were I would report them! Surely medical professionals have to be licensed to perform medical procedures!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 03:15 PM

Well if I knew who the lawbreakers were I would report them! Surely medical professionals have to be licensed to perform medical procedures!
People tend to MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 03:18 PM

People tend to MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS.
Not when it comes to animals, Todger. They can't speak for themselves, so we need to! Nobody should turn a blind eye to cruelty....!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-05-2021, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Mups I like to think that I can do many things dog-related, but I decided long ago to leave this to the professionals. I am just too afraid to get near their quicks. It has also has to be performed with a specific diamond bit so it's done quickly.

What if you donated the trimmer to a vet in exchange for free trims?

Nice thought Surfer , but mine are perhaps not professional quality, I don't know.
Anyway, he clips mine in seconds so doubt he'd use it.

I completely agree with you about being afraid of doing it though. As I said, it's the black claws that worry me.

My youngest has got semi see-through light brown claws and I can do hers no problem because I can see the pink quick through them.

Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top