Join for free
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2015, 09:12 PM

Rising holiday prices. Debatable

I have been wondering if the holiday companies rise their prices out of school term or do they lower their prices in school term so that they can get the customers.
If this is the latter then we haven't an argument about the prices that are being charged when the children are on school holiday.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2015, 09:52 PM

Re: Rising holiday prices. Debatable

If as I heard one idea is to stop them rising prices during school holidays I can see everyone paying more because I doubt they will drop the prices to the lower level. Whether they are raised or lowered I am not sure.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2015, 10:29 PM

Our family always rents a holiday cottage each year and you can add between a third and double the price for various school holiday periods.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2015, 10:40 PM

A compelling case for not having kids, save a few bob on your holiday.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2015, 11:00 PM

Hi Maursey, try going on a comparison site, surely there's something on there. But my husband has just said that they put the holiday's up on school holidays! That's why most parents take their kids out of school throughout the year...
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2015, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
Hi Maursey, try going on a comparison site, surely there's something on there. But my husband has just said that they put the holiday's up on school holidays! That's why most parents take their kids out of school throughout the year...

That is what I always thought Suzuki Sue but I wonder if you said anything to them would agree on that or say that is the proper price but we lower it in school term because we don't get so many holiday makers therefore we have to keep our prices lower to attract them?

It is so hard for families with young children. I go with my youngest daughter, son in law and Granddaughter and the prices are dreadful out of school term.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2015, 06:36 AM

In some resorts/hotels I understand the added charges during the school holidays because during these times the resort provides, kids clubs, childrens entertainment, babysitter services etc which are not needed or provided the rest of the year so there are extra wages and cost to pay during those times.

If you are just renting a house with no services added then the only reason for hiking the price is profit.

The prices do shoot up during school holidays even ferry or plane tickets double during the school breaks its silly prices and no wonder people take their children out of school during term time I bet for many its the only way to afford a holiday.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2015, 11:43 PM

We are going away in July/August this year and were prepared for the usual price increase due to school holidays.

We have also been compelled to look for a new Cattery for Cassie due to the closure of her usual one as the owners have retired.
What we weren't prepared for when viewing a suitable cattery was the fact that they also put their charges up for the school holiday period! What on earth does school holidays have to do with cats?

Luckily we have found one that charges the same all year round.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We are going away in July/August this year and were prepared for the usual price increase due to school holidays.

We have also been compelled to look for a new Cattery for Cassie due to the closure of her usual one as the owners have retired.
What we weren't prepared for when viewing a suitable cattery was the fact that they also put their charges up for the school holiday period! What on earth does school holidays have to do with cats?

Luckily we have found one that charges the same all year round.
That IS hard to accept, charging more for pets!

I also hate the single supplement lark. My cruise in 2003 for example. The s/s was 100% on top of the holiday cost price. An absolute rip off, which stops me from booking another.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top