Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2012, 03:27 PM

The last Dandy.

I heard on the news today that the Dandy will no longer be available in printed form, it's going online, I believe Paul McCartney features in the last issue. I used to love the Dandy as a kid, I would read every page twice and wait anxiously for the next issue, my Brother used to get the Beano then we would swap, how easily pleased we were in those days, it was a real bonus when you got a free gift with it. Farewell old friend!.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2012, 04:05 PM

Re: The last Dandy.

Sad to see it go...the end of another era.
None of my grandchildren have ever picked it up when given the choice of comic to buy though.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2012, 04:09 PM

I used to love the Dandy too, Jem

Friday was always 'comic day' when we were young and my brother and I used to wait patiently for our Dad to come home from work on his bicycle at 6.00pm. He always stopped off at the newsagent on the way home to collect the Dandy for me and the Beano for my brother ..... we used to get so excited then What a change from today when everything is taken for granted and being given a comic is no longer a simple pleasure in life

Those were the days!
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2012, 05:45 PM

I never really took to comics myself, I was one of those boring children who read The Financial Times from the age of 7.

You wouldn't have guessed eh?
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2012, 07:46 PM

I wasnt allowed to read comics I had the childrens newspaper.... that says it all doesnt it!
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2012, 08:58 PM

I think at some stage, I must have had them all. The Dandy, The Beano, Sparky, Whizzer & Chips...

(showing my age here)
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2012, 09:02 PM

The Dandy, The Beano and all the others.

They were the good old days..

Technology is taking over and we now have the Kindle etc.

We have over 700 books stored on our version.

The TV has taken over from the comics of our days and I must admit I am also addicted to some series.

My most recent addiction was 'Continuum' .
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2012, 11:37 PM

My wife was contemplating buying a Kindle the other week but I told her the only Kindle she'd be getting was the wood kind to start the fire.

Don't worry, she's back where she belongs now - in the kitchen.

Only jesting of course.

She did look into it though but when I said it would be like holding a big version of her mobile phone (she has an iPhone) she came around to my way of thinking that paper is best.

I have a great second hand shop which I buy my books from at 25P per book.

I often come out with about 20-30 books.

I do like reading and I'm currently on a good Jack Higgins book, though the name escapes me (that's how good it is! ).

The wife likes her romance novels but does read my thrillers and detective ones too.

We both spend about 2-3 hours reading when we go to bed at night and that's enough for her to get to sleep whilst I'm left with my insomnia.

NOT FAIR.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2012, 02:26 AM

I was only chatting to someone recently about the comics we used to get as kids. We were pretty fortunate, I suppose. My brother and I got Dandy and Beano between us, and he had boy type comics. Was Eagle one of them? Can't remember his, but I got Bunty and Judy as well, then upgraded to Jackie.

They were originally ordinary paper comics, but I believe they're more like glossy paper these days, and that even spoils it really.

{{{{Sssshh, don't tell anybody, but if I spots a Beano, I picks one up every now and then}}}. Not the same though.

So, which characters can you remember:

Desperate Dan
Korky the Cat
Dennis the Menace

I can think of loads of others, but my favourite was Beryl the Peril! She reminded me of me!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2012, 08:39 AM

My Grandmother used to send my brother and I the Beano and Dandy which we shared. Remember the 'gifts' they had in them? At home I used to have the Swift and the Eagle delivered (depending on my age) as well as the monthly Boys Own Paper (my favourite). My brother never liked those for some reason he used used to have The Magnet and Hornet (I think that is right).

Can't agree with OB about paperbacks being better than an eReader. The latter is so much smaller and lighter than most books and, unlike an iPhone, is not backlit so it is far less tiring to read. I don't have a Kindle but a Sony Reader, it goes everywhere with me, it even has a leather cover so it is much more luxurious than most books too. I still read paperbacks from the local Op shops and I still like to receive hardback books as presents but for sheer convenience the eReader is brilliant. Love it.

Another great advantage is that most of them allow the installation of PDF files so you can carry all the instruction manuals for your digital camera, video, computer, tablet, or whatever on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top