Join for free
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2009, 11:25 AM

An apology to hooded youths is in order here...

St Neots 'Stamp Puppy' Died Of Natural Causes
18:34 - 03 November 2009

NATURAL DEATH: Police say 10-week-old Sandie died of a virus.
A POLICE investigation into the killing of a puppy in St Neots has been called off after a post mortem examination found the dog died of natural causes.

Hundreds of people joined a group calling for justice for the heartbroken 15-year-old who reported her puppy had been stamped to death in Priory Park on October 26.

April Alderton of Cambridge Road, St Neots, said she had been walking Sandie in the park between 11.15am and 11.50am when a hooded youth stamped on the dog and ran off. She said 10-week-old Sandie had died from a fractured skull.

RSPCA officers described the attack as "sickening" and police said it had "upset an entire family".

However a statement released to The Hunts Post on Tuesday (November 3) by Cambridgeshire police said they "had ended their investigation".

The statement said a detailed veterinary medical examination revealed it was "most likely" the puppy "had died suddenly from a virus and showed no sign of injury".

"Despite an intensive and thorough investigation, police have been unable to locate any other witnesses to an alleged incident in which the puppy was reportedly injured."

Police said no charges would be bought against the family.

April, who attends the Ascham Road Pupil Referral Unit in Cambridge, was bought Sandie following advice that it would help with her attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.

The circumstance of the puppy's alleged death caused outrage across the country with people offering rewards to find and prosecute the culprits.

More than 750 people signed up to a group on the social networking site, [System edit: Contains pet groups], condemning the actions.

Letters of outrage were also sent to The Hunts Post from across the country, including one which described the youths as "cowards" who killed a defenceless pet of a young girl".

A man, who wished to remain anonymous, also contacted The Hunts Post offering a £200 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the offender.

"It is totally disgusting," he said. "The attitude of these idiots shows absolute disregard for others in society. When I read about the killing I felt physically sick that someone could cause so much pain to a puppy."

The Sun newspaper offered a £2,500 reward.

April’s mother, Loretta, 45, who bought her daughter a new puppy on the same day as Sandie’s death, said: “The death of Sadie left us all devastated.”

When asked how they felt about the police calling an end to the investigation, family friend Rodney Ellis said: “We are fuming. The police are making an innocent girl look like a liar. This will provoke a lot of hassle for April and the kids in the area will say she lied. April is not handling it very well and is really upset. She keeps asking ‘why doesn’t anyone believe me?”

Because she`s a liar, probably.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2009, 12:09 PM

Re: An apology to hooded youths is in order here...

That's interesting.
I hadn't really looked into the original story, though I was aware of it.
Moral - as ever; take everything you read in the papers (and to a lesser degree hear on the TV/radio) with a very large degree of scepticicm.

There is a nasty case here of yobs charged with killing a baby fawn - there is a court case, so there is likely to be more truth in that allegation.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2009, 12:13 PM

There was something fishy about it from the start. If she is telling the truth, then the report must be wrong but vets don't make mistakes like that, I wouldn't think. Perhaps the pup died on her and she thought she would get the blame and made up the story, never thinking it would go that far.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2009, 01:18 PM

Some people and media do rush to judgement. Like Brandykins said, she could have made the entire thing up to cover herself
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2009, 08:32 PM

Why did the press report it as that without first checking with the vets whether it sustained injuries that correspond with being 'stamped on' (you know, like a crushed skull!).

I really do have little faith in the press these days!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2009, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->

April, who attends the Ascham Road Pupil Referral Unit in Cambridge, was bought Sandie following advice that it would help with her attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.

This will provoke a lot of hassle for April and the kids in the area will say she lied. April is not handling it very well and is really upset. She keeps asking ‘why doesn’t anyone believe me?”
IMO the girl is ill, . . it's all very well to judge and criticise the event, and maybe she will be provoked, so that'll be a shame, kids can be so cruel but when alls said and done the dog died of natural causes.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2009, 10:59 AM

I work with children who have problems and bad behaviour is not part of the condition. Although many parents allow such children to do as they wish because it`s easier. However, it doesn`t do the child any favours. ADHD is not an illness, it is a condition that improves with age and can be managed by instituting rules and strategies. Lying is not a symptom.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2009, 11:09 AM

I work with children who have problems and bad behaviour is not part of the condition. Although many parents allow such children to do as they wish because it`s easier. However, it doesn`t do the child any favours. ADHD is not an illness, it is a condition that improves with age and can be managed by instituting rules and strategies. Lying is not a symptom.
We've all told porkies Claire, it's a shame this one got outta hand and the press got hold of it, lying to seek attention is a mental illness IMO, I'm not a psychiatrist by any means but I know when a child or adolescent has a problem.
claireandaisy
Essex

06-11-2009, 09:13 PM

I know the girl has made a mistake, but she`s made life a complete hell for the poor boy who was accused and named on face book.
nero
Central Scotland

09-11-2009, 04:09 PM

I know the girl has made a mistake, but she`s made life a complete hell for the poor boy who was accused and named on face book.
That's a shame for the lad too Claire, . . I hope he gets over it but a bit more publicity from the press on his behalf would help I'm sure.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top