Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 01:46 PM

Re: Rememberance Sunday

Did anyone notice Mr Brown laying the wreath, . . he was the first to do so after the royals, . . he placed it on the Cenotaph, . . stepped back, . . paused, . . but did NOT bow his head, . . all the rest after him did, . . I think he's lost the plot about everything completely.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 02:32 PM

Hiya all

Its okay weather wise here a good day for Novemeber...I will go out and take some pics of the tubs.

Had bacon and scrambled eggs for breakfast...really nice.

Not doing much watched the rememberance day parade on the telly as I've changed the lightbulbs, and cleaned the lights....amazing how much dust gets in light fittings, just the landing to go now.

David Haye won the boxing last night I see. Bit like David and Goliath.

Trying to decide if to put my acers in the garden into tubs...bringing them closer to the house......not sure but saw a friends yesterday and they looked amazing.

Any how descisions descisions........have a good day all.

My Dad has 5 older brothers, and 4 brothers in law who all served in WWII, Dad was born in 1929 so to young...my Uncle Bob was in the Marnines and torpedoed twice, but still went back he spent time in hosptial because of burns on his body and lungs from the burning oil in the water. A brother in law was captured by the Japanesse...he killed himself in the 50's ...apparently he never recovered from the war, he couldn't sleep rest nothing. Never met him. Dad himself was blown across the road by a Bomb that took out Prince Wales Theatre ...it shattered his jaw, perferated his ear druim he spent 6 months in Selly Oak hospital as a lad because of it deaf for months because of the blood but he got a little hearing back in one ear the other is deaf still. So not just soliders who suffered.

Mom's two older brothers were in the war my Uncle Arthur was both a Bevin boy (down the mines) then in the Army....has both medals...quite rarity apparently.

All survived. Never visited the war graves but would like to I think not sure. My Nan Nan (Dads mom) lost her younger brother in the first world war he would have been 15...he used false papers to sign up his Mom got him out at 14 but he ran away to Wales and signed up again and was killed before his Mom could find him.....his two older brothers survived but one was gassed and suffered all his life due to it and a boimb blast his death certificate in 1951 says died due to wounds from the war....blood poisoning.....although he continued working and raised a family...

I do wonder how many people die of wounds mental and physical long after the wars finish.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
Did anyone notice Mr Brown laying the wreath, . . he was the first to do so after the royals, . . he placed it on the Cenotaph, . . stepped back, . . paused, . . but did NOT bow his head, . . all the rest after him did, . . I think he's lost the plot about everything completely.

My Dad said that, he said maybe it brings it all back to him. I mean it must be horrible to be in effect responsible, indirectly for the deaths going on now. And another British soldier reported killed again today.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
. but did NOT bow his head, . . all the rest after him did, . . I think he's lost the plot about everything completely.
We can't get BBC or ITV here so I missed that. Only a minor gesture but so SO important, I think you're right, his mind is on other things and not on the supreme sacrifice these men and women have made for the country.

I always try to spend a minute or two every remembrance Sunday to think about all these young people for whom we should be forever grateful.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kazz ->
My Dad said that, he said maybe it brings it all back to him. I mean it must be horrible to be in effect responsible, indirectly for the deaths going on now. And another British soldier reported killed again today.
I know Kazz, . . but he's head of state, . . I saw it and so did the rest of the world, . . if he can't concentrate on a minor thing like a head bow he should get a grip.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 05:47 PM

Tragic wars. My Dad enlisted in WWI but never sent overseas; he tried to enlist again after Pearl Harbor but he was both too old and essential in his work at the Navy Department. So I was not personally touched by the war; although a dear friend, an Air Force navigator was shot down over Germany and spent time in a prisoner of war camp. Partial loss of hearing due to the harsh treatment. That does sound rather insensitive of Mr. Brown.

Indian Summer here today, 17 degrees (63F) before lunch and brilliant sunshine. So pleasant I walked to the market for a change. Am having a plumbing problem: downstairs toilet is running and I can't stop it; having the plumber tomorrow, I hate to think of the next month's water bill!

Enjoy the day,
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 06:34 PM

I watched a remembrance service early hours of this morning, it was coming live from afghanistan. It was quite poignant to see some of the soldiers on the perimeter with the big guns, and the conditions must be awful, every now and again sand being blown around. There was a choir of Fijian soldiers too.

I was working for the rest of the day, quite busy considering the weather this morning.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 09:27 PM

I'm usually grumbling about the weather, so thought I'd say it's now 22 (72 F) and the porch door is open to let in the mild air ... and Leia to go in and out without needing a doorman.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 10:49 PM

Watched on TV this morning-watch every year and remember all who have given their lives and thinking of those who are still in the war at present.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top