Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 07:49 PM

Just home from Sharm el Sheik.

Left for Sharm el Sheik with my youngest daughter, son in law and Granddaughter last Tuesday for a weeks holiday in one of the lovely Aqua Parks

I had never been to Egypt , but my daughter had and my husband was out there when he was in the Grenadier Guards
in 53/54. During the Suez Crisis, so I was keen to go just to say I had been there. Bearing in mind we had thought that the Russian plane which had crashed four days before we were to fly out, had had engine trouble.

Well we arrived at Aqua Park in Sharm and it was fantastic. Loads of different slides and water jets for the children, four pools all inclusive so we were served drinks by the pool all day and night and five different foreign restaurants to choose where to have our meals all on site. Egyptians were absolutely lovely and so funny how they pick up some of our sayings and mimic us.

All was great until the next day when my son in law had been watching CNN on the TV in their room.
He came and told my daughter and myself who were lounging by the pool that no more flights were going out because it was feared that it was a bomb that had blown the Russian plane up.
We were all numb and scared and when it got round to all of the Egyptian staff they feared their jobs. It became doom and gloom all around for that day.

The next day things became brighter and all was fun again shows going on, dancing music etc.

After a couple of days we found that those going home were coming back as they couldn't get a flight. Then we heard that the Russians were also stopping flights to Sharm. This really upset the poor staff as the British and Russians were their livelihood.
We started to panic. When were we going to get home?
It was Saturday and by then I just wanted to be back in England on safe ground. The only one who was really enjoying it in our little family was eight year old Amelie. She was having a great time.

We then heard that we wouldn't be able to fly home for about a week five days after we were due to fly home we became really depressed and what had started as a holiday in paradise turned out to be a nightmare.
Then it dawned on me I had only taken enough of my medication to last me until I got back and when I told my daughter, she also realized that Amelie was due for her weekly injection on the day after we were to officially come home. (This is for her arthritic knee to help to stop the arthritis spreading)

My Son in law got in touch with Easy jet. (Thank goodness for mobile phones and WiFi). He explained this and they were concerned and said to leave it with them.

Yesterday morning we were sunbathing when my daughter had a message on her phone from EasyJet saying that they could fly us out at 5.0clockpm that day. We were over the moon. We didn't mind losing two days of our hols. If we didn't take this chance we may have to wait a week so it was booked to get to Sharm Airport at 2.15pm.
Poor Amelie said..."What now?" Such a shame for her.

When we got to Sharm airport it was horrendous everyone pushing trying to get in front of each other. We queued for over two hours just for them to sort out the baggage. We were only to take one small bag on the plane. Our large bags and cases were to be sent to us by courier in about seven to ten days time. Then there were mile long queues for them to sort out our passports.
By then my legs were aching and little Amelie's knee was all swollen. There wasn't a chair anywhere to sit on at that airport. Amelie sat on the floor until Lisa, her mummy went to see if they could get a wheelchair for her. Luckily they brought her one and pushed her, and we had to follow. It was amazing as he jumped all the queue with us behind, sorted all the passports and we were one of the first to board the plane which was a titon boeing 767. What a beauty of a plane.
All food and drink free. A lovely five and a half hour flight though we were feeling very scared.
When we landed there were huge cheers and clapping all round. Almost emotional.
As we were coming out of Luton airport we were given two pints of milk, bottled water and a bag of goodies. How lovely was that.

So happy to be home. Makes me feel so proud of my country. So we may not have the weather but we also don't have the mosquitoes( been bitten all over even my face) and the hundreds of flies ( settled on us everywhere while we were sunbathing) We said we shan't be flying again.

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 07:54 PM

Re: Just home from Sharm el Sheik.

Phew Maursey - good to see you back home
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 07:57 PM

Welcome Back Maursey the lady who cuts my hair was stuck out there too (on honeymoon) .
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 07:58 PM

Pleased that you and yours are safely back in the UK.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 08:02 PM

It's great you all got home safely Maursey.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 08:03 PM

What an awful experience that must have been, Maursey .... so pleased you are safely back home again.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 08:08 PM

Glad to hear you all got home safely. It's certainly a holiday you won't forget in a hurry.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 08:17 PM

Wow Maursey, it came across through your post what a relief it was for you all to land back on British soil.

It must have been and still is for a lot of them a very upsetting time.

Welcome Home
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 08:54 PM

Glad to hear you got home safe and sound.
Somewhere in the Uk for your next holiday?
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 09:19 PM

Glad you got back safely Maursey, my son was out there 2 years ago he got bitten all over with mosquitos and had to go to the hospital where he had to have them cut out, they said he might have not survived as he was badly infected..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top