Join for free
Page 18 of 28 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 09:12 PM

Re: Brexit - Can you ever please both sides?

The tax union was always going to happen and here it comes.

No longer would we be working "For the man," we would be working for "The man's dad".....

No thanks ....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
When I told them I voted leave and I was a centre right Tory supporter, the conversation changed to about 5 minutes of them launching a tirade of abuse and insults towards me for the way I voted and who I support. Everything from the conservative party destroying peoples lives etc and poor people suffering under austerity, to the racist bigots that voted brexit etc etc etc.

I just stood there and laughed ... it's like they are programmed that way.
You must have felt right at home then. Sounds just like the Brexit debate in this forum.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I had an interesting chat with 2 of the people who work behind the bar in my local last night. They are both in their 20s and told me they are labour supporters and voted remain in the referendum. I didn't mention at all what my political views were or how I voted on brexit, but was genuinely interested in listening to what they voted the way they did. They said it was because they felt safer as a large block of countries and that trading between ourselves was like being part of a big community. I didn't put any of my leave views forward at all, just listened with genuine interest as they explained how they viewed the EU.

After about half an hour of me listening and them talking, they then asked me which way I voted and which party I supported.

When I told them I voted leave and I was a centre right Tory supporter, the conversation changed to about 5 minutes of them launching a tirade of abuse and insults towards me for the way I voted and who I support. Everything from the conservative party destroying peoples lives etc and poor people suffering under austerity, to the racist bigots that voted brexit etc etc etc.

I just stood there and laughed ... it's like they are programmed that way.
That’s the disconnect between most of the young and most of the old

I work with many young professionals who are quite vocal in their dislike of Brexit and our recent Governments

They see the older generation having greatly benefitted in being a member of the EU, owning property, having good pensions, able to live and work in Europe etc and think that they are being denied the same opportunities by small minded angry old people who dislike EU regulations and the immigrants freedom of movement has brought to this country.

Whilst they have embraced Europe they feel that UK Government is broken, austerity was due to the Government and greedy banks and that sentiment goes back before the referendum which is why many supported Corbyn. But they are rapidly tiring of his politicking and he too may fee the backlash of their pro EU leaning
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 09:46 AM

I fear the young see as far ahead as next Tuesday and don’t realise this is ‘forever’ , the advantages of the Eu and I’m the first to say I liked the EEC , even the Eu wasn’t too bad until 1989 when it suddenly found the Berlin Wall down and went from 7 to 28 and with free movement no longer are you competing with school mates for a job but your competing with 500 million other Europeans in a race to the bottom for wages , finding no matter what your mp indeed even prime minister wishes to do in reality unelected Eu officials hold the power .... so looking at the bigger picture I have been wanting out for a very long time in the hope after we leave ( and whatever they say we will be missed ) that business will find a way , others want our trade and possibly even the Eu itself will either reform or crumble as let’s look at it from outside the box .... if we had never joined ... I’d like to see someone d make an argument for doing so !!!!!

But yes, the young obviously blame the old wrinklies for many things however I’m convinced the young only see the short term benifits and not the hidden long term costs
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
I fear the young see as far ahead as next Tuesday and don’t realise this is ‘forever’ , the advantages of the Eu and I’m the first to say I liked the EEC , even the Eu wasn’t too bad until 1989 when it suddenly found the Berlin Wall down and went from 7 to 28 and with free movement no longer are you competing with school mates for a job but your competing with 500 million other Europeans in a race to the bottom for wages , finding no matter what your mp indeed even prime minister wishes to do in reality unelected Eu officials hold the power .... so looking at the bigger picture I have been wanting out for a very long time in the hope after we leave ( and whatever they say we will be missed ) that business will find a way , others want our trade and possibly even the Eu itself will either reform or crumble as let’s look at it from outside the box .... if we had never joined ... I’d like to see someone d make an argument for doing so !!!!!

But yes, the young obviously blame the old wrinklies for many things however I’m convinced the young only see the short term benifits and not the hidden long term costs
The young are concerned about their futures and are far more mature and sensible than you give them credit for
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 10:17 AM

The young are concerned about their futures and are far more mature and sensible than you give them credit for

I have 3 ‘young’ myself and all are doing extremely well thankyou , however my argument still stands
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 10:31 AM

What nobody seems to be able to grasp is that in the global economy you are a nobody if you aren't in a strong trade arrangement. The UK will have no clout against giant corporations. Business has no borders, but you need to be a big united market to effectively control the big guns. We can't even managed to control a large corporation building a nuclear reactor when in the EU. How are we going to do this when out? The young have been brought up with the threat of giant corporation power. They understand the power of globalism better than oldies.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 10:59 AM

Hi

What the older do not see, is this.

No Deal is a fallacy, the disruption will be so great it will hit everyone.

We are not immune, there is no way the Triple Lock can continue after a No Deal.

We will all have to pitch in, including Pensioners.

When my job was disposed of, courtesy of Theresa May, they made mistakes.

I hammered them, peanuts compared to overall spend, but good for me.

A serious demotion, but a protected salary, less extras.

A 20% cut in my Pension.

Retraining, paid for, took the option and did that.

Peanuts to them, they never thought we would vote leave.

Now we have, they are panicking and will have to pay the price.

Every consignment of Foodstuffs needs a certificate and one container can typically have 8 on board.

I can only sign for non fresh meat and chemicals.

£50 a Certificate, one day a week, hence my £400 a day.

Our big exports, fresh meat, we gave away signing rights to the EU, OVS.

They are now charging £118 a Certificate.

The UK OVS are all EU Citizens, trained for free.

They are going back, the EU is offering them far more than we are.

It is a complete mess.

We simply do not have the time to train our own to WTO Accreditation.

A No Deal need not have been a disaster given enough planning.

We have not done the planning.

In respect of taking control of our Borders.

I spent 4 years doing a thing called Code Mapping, a seamless integration of systems for access to all threats from Illegals etc.

The Germans wanted it for free, the French wanted control of it, written in French, not English.

I told them to swan off and was sacked for putting the UK first.

May considered that my view was unhelpful and we needed to save money.

I do not apologise for my views, which are she is the worst Home Secretary and Prime Minister in history.

The best one we have had for a while was David Blunkett.

He may have been Labour, and had many faults, but he put the UK first, second and third and trounced the French.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
What nobody seems to be able to grasp is that in the global economy you are a nobody if you aren't in a strong trade arrangement. The UK will have no clout against giant corporations. Business has no borders, but you need to be a big united market to effectively control the big guns. We can't even managed to control a large corporation building a nuclear reactor when in the EU. How are we going to do this when out? The young have been brought up with the threat of giant corporation power. They understand the power of globalism better than oldies.
But we want a chance to deal with a truly global economy not be constrained but a little corner of 20 odd countries.

Free movement might have been fair if it had been global but we can't have people from the world descending on us so we should restrict it to the best people, the people we need. No one minded offering asylum until we had free movement of people from poor countries in EU. I don't want anyone needs our help turned away but we can't manage them and all the EU people turning up too.

We are an Island race always managed our own affairs and look at what has happened to us since we handed that control to others, we have weak greedy politicians, scared selfish young people. Scared of leaving EU and selfishly wanting to make everyone stay because they haven't the gumption to try to make anything else work. Someone needs to tell them we had travel before EU membership. I grew up with Spanish and Italians and German neighbours here because we needed them. Several family members worked in Sri Lanka, Thailand, America, Canada and Australia they traveled to work. Holidays we were oddities because we didn't go abroad just like today. People didn't need to belong to EU to travel. But talk to youngsters they think when we leave EU all travel will stop. I even spoke to one young lady seemed to think her favourite Spanish resort would become long haul flight !!! with people like that wanting the vote we are pretty much doomed !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 12:22 PM

We are not an "island race" who "always managed our own affairs" but an ex empire, with a far worse history than any EU actions. We have a multicultural community as a result of that past. Prior and post empire we struggled. The global economy is totally transformed vs what existed pre EEC and you have to be a big player like the US or China or be part of a united trade block to deal with multinational trade. We have access to all that via trade agreements the EU has already negotiated. Looking at the shambles of Brexit negotiations we won't do well on our own trying to rewrite these agreements.

Page 18 of 28 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top