Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 08:38 PM

Re: Might need a new printer

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Well with libraries closing as they do, it’s not ideal to keep that as an only option, IMO. I do like the idea of having my own printer, for the immediate use and convenience.

I have downloaded the Tesco app to my phone, Barry, as advised.

I think when the stores are open again, and the colour cartridge runs out, then I will have a look at various models.

Thanks, all.
Yeah ... I'm just saying you can easily go paperless, but no pressure. I know some feel kinda more secure having things on paper, but I'm past that stage.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 08:47 PM

Many different preferences but an inexpensive HP printer and a £2.00 a month 'instant ink' deal is what I find best for me.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 10:57 PM

How about a colour laser printer? They are more expensive to buy but much cheaper to run. Generic cartridges cost a quarter of the maker's originals and work just as well.

I paid just over $200 for my Fuji Zerox a few years ago. If they have a problem it is that they are bulkier than an inkjet.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 09:04 AM

I'll look into the laser ones too, Bruce, thanks.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Ah yes, I have also had an Epson.

Ted, I use compatible inks and not had problems before. I have heard of that as an issue.

Barry, now you tell me, lol!!! I’ve managed to print them out now.
Jazzi,

I have a couple of canon printers and was able to get through the problems by following the instructions here:-

https://printerinkcartridges.ie/blog...0remanufacture.

Every time I put in a new compatible, I just press the button and Bob's your uncle!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 02:07 PM

We had an Epson A3 inkjet printer - I think we still have it somewhere - but, as someone mentioned earlier, unless you use it regularly the print heads are likely to clog up or dry up. We used it quite a lot when we were both working, but after retirement we gave up on it.

We now have an HP colour laser printer which has never let us down.
Yes, to buy new cartridges (three colours and black) is expensive, but when you consider how long they last it works out cheaper than ink.
Also, it is claimed that colour laser printers are no good for coloured pictures. That may be true for photographs; I don't know because we've never used ours for that, but for other coloured images/diagrams/etc. it is at least as clear and sharp as the inkjet printer was.
Laser printers print out much more quickly than inkjet too.

Yes, I'd recommend laser printers, either colour or monochrome whichever suits.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 04:12 PM

I have a monochrome laser printer, got fed up with buying inks ...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 11:13 PM

I used to have Canon printers (I liked the brand) but their most annoying feature was that they ceased to work when the used ink container was full. That and their attempts to stop you using generic chips or refilling cartridges made me stop buying them as a matter of principle.

Buying laser printers was a decision I don't regret. I used to worry that I could not print a decent photo with a laser but in practice with the local Big W producing 5 by 7s prints for 35 cents each it wasn't an issue
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 10:04 AM

I'm going to be looking at a laser printer next time but this cheap HP inkjet printer/copier keeps on going, so no reason to change it yet. £2.00 a month on household outgoings isn't missed, although HP must be the winner on the deal because not much needs printing these days. Mostly craft patterns (colour & B/W) that Mrs mart downloads.

The HP inkjet isn't used for photos, so a laser printer to replace it would be an option. I don't print photos but Mrs mart still likes prints of them. She uses a Canon dye-sub printer for those.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the latest answers. Ted, I might give that a go! Not sure what I’ve done with the cartridge now, as I had packed some in an envelope to send for recycling.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top