Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 10:33 AM

Veg Growing for Singles.

Hi

Strange when you are on your own.

Do you grow from seed or buy plants?

Root veg I tend to buy seeds and sow a few often.

The rest I tend to buy plants, easy to buy a few of the kind you want.

How about you?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 10:53 AM

Re: Veg Growing for Singles.

I'm growing my own tomatoes, strawberries and rhubarb this year. Like you, I recently bought a polytunnel (well, last year). I don't grow from seed but get seedlings from the greenhouse on the allotment.

I was given some sorry-looking strawberry plants during the winter. I planted them in a mixture of horse manure and compost. They are now growing like mad and looking healthy. Nice and warm in the polytunnel.

I'll be planting tomatoes in the polytunnel when the time comes. I've got the growbags ready for when the plants are ready to be put into them.

I was given a rhubarb plant yesterday. It is just starting to grow and I'm trying to think where in the garden to plant it. That should be OK for next year.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 10:59 AM

I have mushroom compost on my raised beds at the allotment, and have planted a variety of veggies from seeds. I have some space left for flowers, which will be from seeds. Occasionally I try growing plants from the seeds of veggies, inside the house....like peppers and garlic. Lots of greenery but no produce yet.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 11:07 AM

I like to grow from seed but I can always fall back to buying plants if I get too many failures like I will this year, as the continued cold nights are making it very difficult to keep the plants in good condition without planting them out. It certainly won't be a classic this year...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I like to grow from seed but I can always fall back to buying plants if I get too many failures like I will this year, as the continued cold nights are making it very difficult to keep the plants in good condition without planting them out. It certainly won't be a classic this year...
Hi

This will not be a good year Barry, I am late and the polytunnel has only just been rebuilt.

It has had frost on the inside recently.

I have sown somethings inside this morning and they will be late, but such is life.

The tomato plants will be inside for a week, we have more frosts forecast at the end of this week.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 11:19 AM

I’m late with organising anything this year, as I had to wait several weeks for the chap to come and jet wash my garden. I could have done an inventory of my shed to see what I have in there (I know there are seed potatoes, and flower bulbs), there also should be seeds. Been too cold for me to spend time in the garden.

I have been known to buy the odd veg plant, and might have to resort to that this year, depending on what I can grow, what space I have. I still need to clean down the fence first, so as I said, I am behind. I think a future trip to the garden centre is to be arranged.

My mini green house is in the shed and I need to pull everything out to get to the main frame, and reconstruct it. It doesn’t have shelving, so again, need to plan something.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 11:35 AM

Love my garden. I grow my own herbs - Basil, Coriander, Thyme, Rosemary, bay leaves, Mint, Chives, Spring Onions from seed. I grow carrots, rocket, green beans, radish, chilli, tomato from seed as well. I make my own compost from garden waste.
It’s fast approaching winter now so my last crops have been harvested save my chillies. They’ll be ready in a week!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 11:47 AM

I got a 'grow-your-own liquorice plant' kit for Christmas. Seeds, pots and compost. I'll be giving that a go any day now.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 12:11 PM

I find that avoiding veggies altogether is the best plan for this single. However I do keep a packet of frozen Peas, Carrots and Corn for emergancies
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I find that avoiding veggies altogether is the best plan for this single. However I do keep a packet of frozen Peas, Carrots and Corn for emergancies
Do you avoid veggies because you think they will force you into a relationship again?

No seeds this year, though I am nurturing a couple of volunteers from last year. My son built me a large gardening box (the first building project he has done on his own ) as a bit of a surprise, so young plants it is!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top