Join for free
Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 05:08 AM

Re: computers

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's because you computer doesn't have to deal with anything larger than one sentence.
You and your little school friends are so funny.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I don't know what operating systems you think people are using but this is nonsense and you could have checked this yourself. Ignoring Vista (no longer supported) the minimum requirements for Windows 7 and Windows 10 to run properly are exactly the same.
Hardly a startling difference is it?
Quite Bruce.....
I don't know how my TV or microwave work either, I didn't buy them to study the laws of physics and they don't require 'updates' either. Each of us to our own Bruce, but after sixty seven years you get to know what works and what doesn't and you don't need a degree to figure out that there is an awful lot of Bull$h!t bestowed upon us from companies who are after your brass....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Well Sir

I simply had no idea that on could get an orgasm from a Software programme on a Computer.

Please tell me the name of this Software.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Orgasms are relative Azure, it all depends what turns you on..You need to be a geek for software to be able to turn you on.....I go for long runs naked on a beach.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-08-2017, 09:25 AM

I don't know what operating systems you think people are using but this is nonsense and you could have checked this yourself. Ignoring Vista (no longer supported) the minimum requirements for Windows 7 and Windows 10 to run properly are exactly the same.
Hardly a startling difference is it?
Alright, perhaps I have exaggerated about the 'Orgasm' and running naked on a beach....I have never run naked on a beach.....But am still open to offers.....

Back to the subject in question....
So if there is 'Hardly a startling difference' between previous operating systems and recent ones, it does beg the question, why do Microsoft keep bringing out new ones? And the answer will obviously be....because they are capable of much more and faster...So there is a great deal of difference between them. And it is this reason why they are more capable of accepting downloads and updates than the old versions.

If I want to enjoy the benefits of new technology I will purchase a new computer, I will not try to turn a 'sow's ear' into a silk purse. After the initial 'Ironing out the gremlins' of a new operating system there should be no need to keep tinkering about with it.
And 'No' I didn't check this myself Brucie, because it wasn't high on my priority list. I just made the point that I don't accept updates and both my machines (running Vista and Windows 7) are still as good today as they were when I purchased them. In fact, Vista outperforms Windows 7 and is a lot more versatile despite being taken off Windows support list. Good riddance is what I say.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 11:11 AM

This is exactly the sort of thing that people are complaining about.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Alright, perhaps I have exaggerated about the 'Orgasm' and running naked on a beach....I have never run naked on a beach.....But am still open to offers.....
You don't know what you've missed ..but it's never too late. If you do it, don't forget to give us an update as regards hardware and software.

I think the average MS Windows user can manage without updates fairly safely because they may never come across a security threat that can take advantage of an un-patched system vulnerability. Most people use 3rd party programs or other measures that may stop anything nasty happening anyway. Some updates are to features that probably aren't going to be used by a lot of people. However, it doesn't hurt to install them as part of an overall update package.

We go over old ground here but if blocking updates makes people feel in control, I suppose that's OK. It's their computer. My opinion is that Microsoft wrote the entire system and so they actually will know what is best for it. To block updates therefore seems pointless. They rarely mess up the system in my experience.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 11:30 AM

Quite Bruce.....
I don't know how my TV or microwave work either, I didn't buy them to study the laws of physics and they don't require 'updates' either. Each of us to our own Bruce, but after sixty seven years you get to know what works and what doesn't and you don't need a degree to figure out that there is an awful lot of Bull$h!t bestowed upon us from companies who are after your brass....
I totally agree with you OGF. Imagine if when we buy laptops/computers the salesperson tells us that it's only going to work for five years or possibly less.

When Microsoft launch a new operating system, they have already produced the next two replacements.

I don't really find the geek sites very helpful as they are incapable of speaking basic English. They just love to show how clever they are by spouting computer language. If you do get to wade through it and decide to download a 'fix' even that is never straight forward, you have to hit the download button several times whilst side stepping all the adverts and stuff you would have to pay for. Plus there are all the dodgy sites that luckily my anti-virus software picks up.

I have worked with IT guys and in fact have been on several courses in the past, such as MCSE networking and they are a breed apart. Their minds work differently to the ordinary person- and they absolutely love it.

If I had applied the same logic to plumbing, fitting a new ball valve would have been known as applying a BS1212. (BS=British Standard - not Bull Sh*t)
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 11:33 AM

Orgasms are relative Azure, it all depends what turns you on..You need to be a geek for software to be able to turn you on.....I go for long runs naked on a beach.....
Lovely OGF. As long as you don't frighten the horses!

And it was not me with my binoculars, looking at the horizon

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

02-08-2017, 11:53 AM

On Micro soft sand.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
They are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike
Well gasman, Geek Squad have done me they proud and come to my rescue many times.

Much better than local IT engineers who charge minimum of
£40.00 per hour , and £100.00 if they take it away.

Cheap at half the price!

Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top