Join for free
Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 03:43 PM

Re: computers

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Well gasman, Geek Squad have done me they proud and come to my rescue many times.

Much better than local IT engineers who charge minimum of
£40.00 per hour , and £100.00 if they take it away.

Cheap at half the price!

Just an honest question Azure....Do you allow upgrades? And what Operating System do you use?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I totally agree with you OGF. Imagine if when we buy laptops/computers the salesperson tells us that it's only going to work for five years or possibly less.

When Microsoft launch a new operating system, they have already produced the next two replacements.

I don't really find the geek sites very helpful as they are incapable of speaking basic English. They just love to show how clever they are by spouting computer language. If you do get to wade through it and decide to download a 'fix' even that is never straight forward, you have to hit the download button several times whilst side stepping all the adverts and stuff you would have to pay for. Plus there are all the dodgy sites that luckily my anti-virus software picks up.

I have worked with IT guys and in fact have been on several courses in the past, such as MCSE networking and they are a breed apart. Their minds work differently to the ordinary person- and they absolutely love it.

If I had applied the same logic to plumbing, fitting a new ball valve would have been known as applying a BS1212. (BS=British Standard - not Bull Sh*t)
Absolutely Longdogs, people buy a car, they don't need to know how it works or to keep taking it into the garage for updates. As long as it's reliable and keeps the rain off their heads great!

There might be more truth in what Realist says than we give him credit for. Every time someone buys a new computer or purchases the new all singing all dancing operating system, they are paying someone's wages at Microsoft. They don't want your computer to last a long time, so they develop a new Operating System, and guess what? Not only are you paying for the new O/S but you find you can't run half the stuff on it that you used to be able to.

Some car manufacturer once proclaimed that they make more money from selling the spare parts than they do from selling the new vehicles.....

I don't mind people who know the inside out's of computers on forums spreading the love.....But please don't frighten the average user with tales of fire and brimstone and make them go out and buy the latest software and security devices when, as Mart says...You probably will never need them. It's a bit like insurance, you can't insure everything, you have to draw the line somewhere and it might work out cheaper to take a hit.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's a bit like insurance, you can't insure everything, you have to draw the line somewhere and it might work out cheaper to take a hit.
Kind of like that OGF but not exactly. Windows updates don't involve extra cost the way annual insurance policies for other products do, so I'm not sure the quote above is a simile.

To draw another one: Not updating Windows might be comparable to a car that you drive until it goes wrong, then it gets attention. Updating Windows is like having the regularly serviced (even though it has no faults) to hopefully avoid problems occurring.

Heck! Maybe that simile doesn't work either. Not having an aversion to Windows 10 updates, I just do them and our computers work well ..apart from the Linux Mint one of course. This gets its own updates when they are flagged up as available (almost daily). This system works OK too. Handy to be a bit familiar with Linux in case I ever feel like permanently changing platforms.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 09:53 PM

Absolutely Longdogs, people buy a car, they don't need to know how it works or to keep taking it into the garage for updates. As long as it's reliable and keeps the rain off their heads great!
I seem to remember some instances of cars having to be "called back" to the dealers to have problems fixed.

I would argue that that is normally the same process as PC updates. Customers discover car problems, Manufacture spots that a lot of customers are complaining, calls the cars in for a fix.

German Car makers seem to do this a bit more than others!

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-08-2017, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I seem to remember some instances of cars having to be "called back" to the dealers to have problems fixed.

I would argue that that is normally the same process as PC updates. Customers discover car problems, Manufacture spots that a lot of customers are complaining, calls the cars in for a fix.

German Car makers seem to do this a bit more than others!

Good point Ted, but car manufacturers recall vehicles for safety issues. If they were seen to ignore a safety issue and someone died as a result the lawyers would have a field day. I doubt whether receiving updates for faulty software would have the same result if ignored. I also wonder why a vehicle or software has been allowed to be sold to public before it's finished.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 12:58 AM

Quite Bruce.....
I don't know how my TV or microwave work either, I didn't buy them to study the laws of physics and they don't require 'updates' either.
So you've stuck with your 405 line black and white valved TV have you? Good on yer, I admire such persistance.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

03-08-2017, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
So you've stuck with your 405 line black and white valved TV have you? Good on yer, I admire such persistance.
Not on your Nellie Bruce, I love new technology but I don't like someone sending me updates and accessing my computer under the pretence of 'Fixing' faults that are not apparent to me. So guess what? I have never accepted updates and my puter is still doing everything I ask of it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I haven't the foggiest idea what sort of things are contained in updates, and so I don't allow all and sundry to send me them....

Have you heard the story about 'The Trojan Horse' Bruce ? All sorts of things can sneak through with your 'updates' There are some very unscrupulous, but very clever hackers out there, and they can install spyware or viruses along with your 'updates' and you would never know that they can observe everything you do on your puter.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 10:49 AM

Not on your Nellie Bruce, I love new technology but I don't like someone sending me updates and accessing my computer under the pretence of 'Fixing' faults that are not apparent to me. So guess what? I have never accepted updates and my puter is still doing everything I ask of it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I haven't the foggiest idea what sort of things are contained in updates, and so I don't allow all and sundry to send me them....

Have you heard the story about 'The Trojan Horse' Bruce ? All sorts of things can sneak through with your 'updates' There are some very unscrupulous, but very clever hackers out there, and they can install spyware or viruses along with your 'updates' and you would never know that they can observe everything you do on your puter.
My philosophy exactly, OGF.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 12:03 PM

Even though you don't install updates, it is possible to find out what's in them. Then again, if you don't believe what Microsoft says is in updates, I suppose the page linked to below won't be of interest.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...date-kb4025342
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Even though you don't install updates, it is possible to find out what's in them. Then again, if you don't believe what Microsoft says is in updates, I suppose the page linked to below won't be of interest.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...date-kb4025342
Wasting your time Mart, Luddites will never learn!

Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top