Join for free
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 01:03 PM

New Fishing Rod Day !

TNT have showed up with my new fishing rod I got off eBay last week.

Its for field casting and for general purpose fishing down at my beach hut. If you're interested, its a 2018 Zziplex Primo Synchro - full carbon blank with minima rings, reel down built for multiplier (yawn yawn yawn).

I had one of these a few years ago but sold it because I didn't like the quick tip recovery, but now I'm hitting bigger leads it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'll take it up the field on Friday with a bit of luck and see how far I can hit 5oz with it
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 01:43 PM

Re: New Fishing Rod Day !

Can I just add my little story about fishing rods please.

When I was a small lad my dad took me down to Brighton to fish off the west pier. so we went into a bait shop and there was a raffle going on for one of the first fibreglass fishing rods in the country The cost of a ticket wes 6D old pence that is. So i persuaded my dad to give my my 6d pocket money for a ticket.

Next weekend we went into the shop and I actually won the rod which I still have. it needs re binding(whipping/ new furlings) but the rod itself is a good as new still

above must be at least 60+ yrs old

Of course back in the start of the 1950's most rods were made of cane. These new solid fibreglass rods were out of this world back then.

Still got several cane ones (about 5 sea rods) my dad had, now stuck in the back of the garage. they were even still taped together for our move 5 years ago. infact not out of their bags since dad died in the 1980's

So if anyone is interested they are welcome to come and look and make an offer for them

even got the fishing reel i got from embassy coupons. Just checked it out everything works perfectly -drag-rachet-free running- lever lock. etc

A Mitchell 600a by Garcia of France

may look dirty(grease mainly) as again laid up for more years than I can remember, but i did grease it up first so everything works extremely well just needs a clean really
looking it up the A had metal spool and the AP had plastic ones which came later. Suspect built in mid 1960's
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2019, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Can I just add my little story about fishing rods please.

When I was a small lad my dad took me down to Brighton to fish off the west pier. so we went into a bait shop and there was a raffle going on for one of the first fibreglass fishing rods in the country The cost of a ticket wes 6D old pence that is. So i persuaded my dad to give my my 6d pocket money for a ticket.

Next weekend we went into the shop and I actually won the rod which I still have. it needs re binding(whipping/ new furlings) but the rod itself is a good as new still

above must be at least 60+ yrs old

Of course back in the start of the 1950's most rods were made of cane. These new solid fibreglass rods were out of this world back then.

Still got several cane ones (about 5 sea rods) my dad had, now stuck in the back of the garage. they were even still taped together for our move 5 years ago. infact not out of their bags since dad died in the 1980's

So if anyone is interested they are welcome to come and look and make an offer for them

even got the fishing reel i got from embassy coupons. Just checked it out everything works perfectly -drag-rachet-free running- lever lock. etc

A Mitchell 600a by Garcia of France

may look dirty(grease mainly) as again laid up for more years than I can remember, but i did grease it up first so everything works extremely well just needs a clean really
looking it up the A had metal spool and the AP had plastic ones which came later. Suspect built in mid 1960's
Can't see any pictures
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Can't see any pictures
The ones that got away.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 11:41 PM

Went up the field today but took the Nemesis SLR rod instead.

Hitting about 210 yards into a side wind with a very slow reel for some reason.

I know I'm good for 235 so next time I'm taking the new Zziplex.

Weird aren't I .. ha ha
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 02:07 AM

I owned a ZZiplex 2500 about 20 yrs ago and found it great for long distance casting with a medium size bait on, but where I live most of my fish are caught about 30/40 yards of the shoreline so in the end I sold the ZZippy

and bought a much softer action rod which fulfilled my needs.

Nice to have another Angler on board Bread, Tight lines
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

09-08-2019, 10:43 AM

Well I found out why my reel was slow.

A strip down reveals a dented bearing case on the spool bearing .... how on earth did that happen ?

I'll go up the field again next week and take the new Zzipy.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190809_102643.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	10447  
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

09-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by basser ->
I owned a ZZiplex 2500 about 20 yrs ago and found it great for long distance casting with a medium size bait on, but where I live most of my fish are caught about 30/40 yards of the shoreline so in the end I sold the ZZippy

and bought a much softer action rod which fulfilled my needs.

Nice to have another Angler on board Bread, Tight lines

That 2500 is a great rod. I had a 3500 and 4500 HPM and they were amazing to fish with.

That 2500 would be one of the originals built buy Terry Carrol back in the day. They still make good money on ebay

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top