Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 08:03 PM

Re: Butter

I might just do that - the butter is rock hard every morning (the only time I eat it) so it would be nice to just spread away without mashing it into submission

We'll have a try and compare notes afterwards
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 08:06 PM

Bags - naughty gal - have you tried the 2 alternatives... I used to love me butter, I tell ya - no difference and just as good on lovely tata's...
Honestly Karen - give either one a go ....
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 08:11 PM

As I eat very little of it I dont feel bad plus I cut back on fat in other ways .... I have tryed other things and they are disgusting ...
When you butter is hard , slice a few bits at the start of making breakfast , then last few sec's put on the toast while grill is still warm... spreads well then, Or put it in the airing cupboard over night in a dish....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 08:14 PM

Honestly Bags - you are a one gal - they are not disgusting - all in yer mind - I wouldn't touch them, as I loved me butter. As for leaving in an airing cupboard - na
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 08:32 PM

I buy the Lurpak Spreadable Lighter, but I did think it was about 40% butter anyway. I aslo keep some hard butter in my fridg. Not tried the Lurpak with Olive Oil, but I'll look for it next time I shop. I'm not keen on the spreads, but OH thinks they are doing him some good - although I'm not sure if they are. He eats the spread I eat butter and I enjoy a dippy egg fried in butter in a sandwich - don't care if it is not healthy, I like butter.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 04:29 AM

I guess it all depends on whether you're bothered about your health or not. My OH has just had a triple bypass and been going to the rehabilitation classes for several weeks now and the advice he got from the nutritionist was to eat good quality margarine or olive oil mixtures and not butter.

But if you're not concerned about what butter does to you, then it doesn't matter. Quote below from Mayo Clinic:

Margarine usually tops butter when it comes to heart health.Margarine is made from vegetable oils, so it contains no cholesterol. Margarine is also higher in "good" fats — polyunsaturated and monounsaturated — than butter is. These types of fats help reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad," cholesterol when substituted for saturated fat.

Butter, on the other hand, is made from animal fat, so it contains cholesterol and high levels of saturated fat. But not all margarines are created equal. Some margarines contain trans fat. In general, the more solid the margarine, the more trans fat it contains. So stick margarines usually have more trans fat than tub margarines do. Trans fat, like saturated fat, increases blood cholesterol levels and the risk of heart disease. In addition, trans fat lowers high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or "good," cholesterol levels. So skip the stick and opt for soft or liquid margarine instead.

Look for a spread with the lowest calories that tastes good to you, doesn't have trans fats and has the least amount of saturated fat. When comparing spreads, be sure to read the Nutrition Facts panel and check the grams of saturated fat and trans fat. Also, look for products with a low percent Daily Value for cholesterol.

If you have high cholesterol, check with your doctor about using spreads that are fortified with plant stanols and sterols, such as Benecol and Promise Activ, which may help reduce cholesterol levels.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 08:41 AM

Lurpak Butter nothing else
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 09:26 AM

Its been a long time since I believed any thing that the manufacture of any unatural food stuff said about there product . Low fat spreads are mixed with dangerous chemicals that could cause cancers ... As I dont suffer from high cholestrol Id rather eat a natural product than some man made product mixure of chemicals . Years ago reports that claimed butter was bad for you were comissioned by these manufacturers to make people paranoid in to buying their products and as normal the adverage comsumer fell for it .
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...er-673982.html

I have never fallen for sweetners or low fat rubbish prefering to rather not have sugar in my tea or use to much of any one product that is fattening . with a healthy natural diet you should stay fit with out any need for all this cheaper chemical based stuff. and up to today Im fit and healthy ...except for a few accidents I have had .
I wonder if all these people who buy low fat then go on to eat ready meals which are full of fat or drink alcohol full of bad calories .....?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

23-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Its not about the healthy option for me, I love the convenience of the spread and it tastes good !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 12:16 PM

Oddly I used low fat spreads for years never lost an ounce in weight but changed to butter but obviously eating less of it and having taken sugar out of my diet have been losing weight really well.

So it is butter all the way for me.

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top